Alexa volume control

• 7 October 2017
  • 9 replies

I don't have any problems with any voice control commands after setting up Alexa except volume control. "When I say Alexa, turn up Living Room" Alexa responds with "Living Room doesn't support that". This is the case in all rooms. Am I know phrasing this correctly?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I got a message from the beta team that I should specify "Alexa, turn up volume in (room name)". Seems to work. But I don't know why the other phrasings don't work.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Alexa, turn volume up in Living Room works (most of the time), however for some reason 'Alexa, turn the volume down in the Living Room, hardly ever works. I end up using the App to adjust the volume.
Was experimenting last night to see what it would do if I left off the room name. Alexa did stop the stream to the living room Connect:Amp by simply saying “Alexa stop!”, which surprised me. Will try some other tests later today. Will be great when we can default a specific Alexa device to a specific Sonos device, which I believe is on the Alexa skill roadmap.
I have the same issues with volume down - ask to turn volume down in (room) and alexa totally ignores the request and then continues playing at the same volume

this beta is truly buggy - it was better simply plugged in as a line in - same functionality other than you couldn't specify a room which given the other bugs kind of almost outweighs this situation
Same here for volume down

with alexa and connect amp
Are you using the correct commands?

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343?_ga=2.31471934.1632094281.1506528409-583647700.1480635590&_gac=1.251468404.1508865101.Cj0KCQjwybvPBRDBARIsAA7T2kgH594zx_aQFtKIt1MZ_KPP8EUuMn8nM5CJgenPkRE-xUdYrpxN1GUaAoViEALw_wcB
Yes.

In fact after deseabling the skill and reabling the skill from alexa app it repeared the volume feature. It works fine now
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hello -- volume at my house does NOT work for Sonos Connect Amps via Alexa.
Only works on my Zone 3 and Zone 1 speaker --- not Connect Amp.

Is there a timeline for this update?
There is no update. Volume control should work for all Sonos devices, except for a Connect set to fixed volume. Check to see if your Connect:Amp is the same name as any of your other smart devices in the Alexa app.