Alexa voice volume linked to Sonos volume? Need independent control

• 24 October 2017
  • 61 replies

Userlevel 3
  • Contributor I
  • 3 replies
It seems the volume of the Alexa voice is linked directly to the volume of the Sonos One unit. That means if I'm playing quiet music in the background, and I activate Alexa, I can't really hear her voice at all.

That also means if I am playing loud music, after the "ducking" to mute the music the voice is really loud.

The volume should be independent or perhaps some proportional volume of the music.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Agreed, independent control please! It's another step at the end of the day which I don't need - resetting Alexa's volume because we've turned up the tv to hear it through the beam, and Alexa's volume has also come up along with it. I realize this was a design decision, but I think it was the wrong one.
Amazon Echos work the same way.
Any updates Sonos?!! Would love independent volume control for Alexa. Please!!!!!!!!
Sonos, please fix this!
I tried to email them this week and they had no idea what I was talking about. 😞
I tried to email them this week and they had no idea what I was talking about. :(

May be send them the link to this topic?

I personally hate Alexa. So just hope google assistant integration does not have this issue
Please implement this Sonos, it's my biggest gripe. When I'm playing music loud and use Alexa, she yells her response. Very irritating!
Just got my ONE last week and I must agree with everyone else on this topic, it needs an independent volume setting for Alexa. I find it too low as it is in the kitchen and with the kettle, extractor fan and other devices on you can hardly hear her response.
Please, please, please send an update to rectify this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Try my Skill: it only effects the Sonos volume. (In fact I have no idea how to change the Alexa volume!). eg "Alexa, tell my speaker to set the volume to 15 in the kitchen".
It's been a year since the first reports of this. I just got a Play One from Amazon. Can't be expected to search for every issue. Linked it to music, turned it up so I could hear it, then asked Alexa for the weather and I had to pull the plug on the freaking thing so as not to wake the neighbors.

This is unacceptable, both from a product design standpoint (any of you bozos try this before releasing it?) AND from a customer support perspective. IT'S BEEN A YEAR. So I'll fix it for you, Sonos. I'm giving you 7 days to answer: Tell us you will be fixing it; or, tell us you won't/can't but are working with Amazon to resolve it; or, tell us it will never be fixed. BUT TELL US SOMETHING. You have 7 days. If you slackers don't answer by then, screw you, it goes back to Amazon and I look at Bose.
You won't get an answer, so might as well return it. Good luck with Bose. Hope they don't abandon their current line of multi-room speakers after 5 years like they did the last one.
I know this might not be the solution most want, but if you buy an Echo Dot (3rd gen is often on sale for only $30), add it to a group with your Sonos speaker(s), and set the Sonos speaker(s) as the default speakers for music for that group, it solves this issue and pretty much all of the other Alexa integration issues people have with the Sonos One. It partially defeats the purpose of getting Sonos One over Play:1, but it works well and you still benefit from having AirPlay 2 over the Play:1.