Alexa "Sorry something went wrong" response

• 24 November 2018
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 19 replies
Hi, i had an existing Sonos One and a Sonos Beam installed in different rooms. Alexa has performed perfectly on these two devices since installation. I recently installed a second beam in a different room. Installation was as expected and appeared to be without issue. I requested "alexa" on the new second beam to play "Magic UK form tune in". The response was "Sorry something went wrong". This response has now become replicated across the two existing devices. Alexa will play some radio stations from tune in but not others. I have been liaising with Sonos support for some time attempting to rectify the issue. Despite submitting numerous diagnostic data, repeated resetting of the system, factory resets, linking and unlinking accounts, reconfiguring the aleaxa account, disabling and enabling Sonso skills etc, the situation remains unresolved. To reiterate, the request worked perfectly on the two existing devices prior to installation of the second new beam. Functionality was somehow lost during installation of the second new beam. Can anybody please help. Many thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Just want to add that the same thing happens to me and has been for a while now. I have sonos beam + 2 play 1s
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Sonos technical support (America) have been in contact. They have spent the best part of an hour checking the the whole system via remote assistance. Issue has now been escalated to Sonos (Europe). Will post updates.
I re-added the sonos skill to the Alexa app on my phone, that solved my issue
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Part of the diagnosis was to reinstate an echo dot back into the system which had become redundant since installation of the smart speakers. This worked perfectly. All requests to play any radio station via the dot were confirmed to be from radio "Tune in". Still same "Sorry" response from Sonos devices. Using dot as a temporary fix.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Part of the diagnosis was to reinstate an echo dot back into the system which had become redundant since installation of the smart speakers. This worked perfectly. All requests to play any radio station via the dot were confirmed to be from radio "Tune in". Still same "Sorry" response from Sonos devices. Using dot as a temporary fix.

Hi

Please find below steps to resolve most Alexa issues. Sorry for the long post but they get progressively more detailed as you progress without resolution:

1/ Duplicate device names - Alexa prefers that names for Devices, Groups and Scenes are unique,
1.1/ Please open up the Alexa App>Smart Home and make a note of any duplicate device names;
1.2/ You can then change them in the source app. e.g. Use the Sonos App to change the name of Sonos players. (I personally use the naming standard Room Name + Device type. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, Lounge Sonos, etc)
1.3/ Once you have changed any duplicate names then please open the Alexa App on a browser (https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or https://alexa.amazon.com)>Smart Home>Devices and select 'Forget All' followed by 'Discover'. NOTE: This will remove ALL Actions from ALL Alexa Routines! (Only the Browser version has this functionality.)

2/ Some form of Account Linking or Authorisation has not completed successfully. There are a number of causes for this and it's best to try these steps 1 at a time and test before moving on to the next step if the problem persists:
2.1/ Open the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and 'Disable' followed by 'Enable';
2.2/ Ensure that you don't have multiple Amazon accounts logged into different Apps on your device, as this can confuse the Amazon Authorisation. If yes, then please log out of the other accounts and then complete step 2.1 again;
2.3/ If the problem still persists, please logout of all Amazon accounts then select the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and 'Disable. Now power down all Sonos devices for 10 secs, allowing for any wired devices to boot before booting the remaining Sonos players. Now log back into the Alexa App>Skills>Sonos and 'Enable'

3/ If the problem persists then an entire reset of the Authorisation & Account Linking process is required:
3.1/ In the Alexa app, select Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and then 'Disable';
3.2 In the Alexa app (Browser version), select 'Smart Home>Devices'. Now select 'Forget All' at the bottom of the screen;
3.3/ In the Sonos app (Android or iOS), select Settings>Room Settings and for each of the Sonos One's sign into 'Voice Services' and select 'Remove Amazon Alexa from this Room';
3.4/ If you have any wired Sonos devices, please power down for 10 secs and then switch on and wait for it to boot;
3.5/ Now power down all other Sonos Players for 10 secs then switch them back on and wait for them to boot;
3.6/ In the Sonos app, Select Manage>Add a player or sub' and add the Sonos One's again. This will complete the set-up process again;
3.7/ In the Alexa app, select Skills>Your Skills and ensure the Sonos skill is 'Enabled', if not please 'Enable';
3.8/ In the Alexa app , select Smart Home>Devices>Discover. Ensure that your Sonos One's are displayed correctly and not shown as 'Off Line'.
3.9/ Also check one last time that there are no devices with the same name. Remember, if there is a need to rename any then you'll need to select 'Discover' again.

Let us know how you get on.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi, many thanks for your reply. I have opened the alexa app to check for any duplicate device names. There are no duplicates apart from, "Study Beam. Sonos player in Study Beam". The next listed device is then worded "Study Beam TV. Sonos player controlling TV in Study Beam. Not sure if this is classed as a duplicate taking into consideration the device fuction wording is different. There are also the exact same two duplicates, both worded the same as previous for the second beam in the dining room. The Sonos one has only the single listing. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, many thanks for your reply. I have opened the alexa app to check for any duplicate device names. There are no duplicates apart from, "Study Beam. Sonos player in Study Beam". The next listed device is then worded "Study Beam TV. Sonos player controlling TV in Study Beam. Not sure if this is classed as a duplicate taking into consideration the device fuction wording is different. There are also the exact same two duplicates, both worded the same as previous for the second beam in the dining room. The Sonos one has only the single listing. Thank you.

This is fine, there will be two devices listed for each Alexa enabled Sonos Speaker - one for the Alexa component and one for the Sonos Hardware.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Update. I can request any BBC radio station via tune in without issue, from the sonos devices. All other radio requests via radio tune in have the same "Sorry response". Completed linking as per sections 2.1 and 2.2. without success. Regarding section 2.3. I have twelve sonos speakers configured across several rooms. Would i need to follow the instructions for all twelve speakers or just the three smart speakers, a sonos one and two beams. Somewhat loathe to power down and reconfigure all twelve speakers. Still able to access all radio tune in stations on all three devices via the echo dot. Many thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Update. I can request any BBC radio station via tune in without issue, from the sonos devices. All other radio requests via radio tune in have the same "Sorry response". Completed linking as per sections 2.1 and 2.2. without success. Regarding section 2.3. I have twelve sonos speakers configured across several rooms. Would i need to follow the instructions for all twelve speakers or just the three smart speakers, a sonos one and two beams. Somewhat loathe to power down and reconfigure all twelve speakers. Still able to access all radio tune in stations on all three devices via the echo dot. Many thanks.

No just the smart speakers with issues. I would start with the Sonos One and see if that resolves the issue.

Edit:

Can you please confirm the command that you are trying and the Radio skill?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi, completed all section 2 and 3 without success. If i simply say "Alexa play BBC radio 2, or 3," etc, the response is always "BBC radio (the requested Station) from Tune in and the speaker begins to play. Until a few weeks ago i could walk into the room and simply say "Alexa play Magic UK or play Heart 80's" I did not have to request a particular source station. The response from the speaker was always "playing Magic UK or Heart 80's from Tune in". Currently if i request either of the aforementioned stations either by name only, or from Tune in the response is always "Sorry something went wrong". Both stations can be manually chosen via "tune in" through the Sonos app. The functionality appeared to be lost during installation of the second beam, although this may be coincidence. Still awaiting response from Sonos (Europe). Think i might just go get a bottle of Wolfblass yellow label to see if that helps before calling it a day. Many thanks for all your help. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've tried your commands; Magic UK plays correctly from TuneIn without including the source station. Heart 80's tries to play from Global Player but no audio. Bottle of Wolfblass yellow label it is then! 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
HI UKMedia. Sorted !!! Purchased a third beam. Installed as per previous Sonos equipment. Delighted to discover there were no request issues whatsoever with this new beam. The new beam, via alexa, will instantly discover any "Tune in" Station and play on the device as requested. Alas still the same "Sorry something went wrong" response from existing three smart devices, (Sonos One, 1st and 2nd beams). Went into the alexa app, via PC, to compare the settings for the new 3rd beam against existing devices. Touchdown!!!!! The new beam had my postcode entered in the "zip code" field. The zip code fields for the previous three devices were not completed, the fields were empty. I entered my postcode and address into the zip code for the first original beam. It then gave me the choice to select my original post code with just a house number. This original data must have existed from when the speakers were first installed. I completed the process for the remaining two devices. ALL devices now play any "Tune In" radio station as requested and everything is all back to normal. I assume all the zip codes must have been deleted either during the set up process for the 2nd beam or during some update. I cannot believe it was something as simple as that and despite detailed and involved support from Sonos technical, this was not identified. Still waiting for Sonos support to respond to original requests. Hope this is of help to anybody with similar issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The Wolfbass worked! 🙂