Answered

Alexa responds but will not play music

• 25 November 2017
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 3
Alexa responds to a 'play music command' but it does not actually play anything. The Sonos One works fine from the app. Alexa also will tell you the weather etc... just fine. When music is playing if you ask Alexa to turn off music it says 'I can only do that when music is playing' . Alexa connects to tunein and my amazon account but doesn't end up playing anything even though it says it is.
icon

Best answer by novasupra 26 November 2017, 16:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey everyone I just fixed my issue. Originally I was told to delete the sonos and Alexa apps, reboot my sonos, etc but neither fixed the problem. Saw another post that said to disable the sonos skill in the Alexa app and reenable it. This worked! Hope this helps you guys too!!

Moderator Note: If the information listed here did not resolve your issue, try this topic: Resolving the Majority of Issues with Alexa on Sonos

Thank you so much for posting this; I had the same issue and after 2 hours of searching online and deleting/reinstalling apps/going through settings on Sonos/Amazon Music/Alexa, I was beginning to go crazy. This fixed it for me! I still don’t know the root cause however as it’s been working fine for 1-2 years. All I can think of is that I changed my Amazon password recently.

Disabling and re-enabling worked for me too. Well, it sort of worked. If I ask Alexa to play music, it will default to the Echo Dot despite it being paired with the Play:5. If I specify where to play the music (in the living room), Alexa will send the output to the Play:5.

I thought/remember that by grouping the Dot and Play:5 through the Alexa app and setting the preferred speaker to the Play:5, Alexa default to the Play:5. This no longer works for me. Has this functionality changed?

Userlevel 1

Disabling and enabling Sonos skill via the Alexa app did the job - spot on thanks!!

2 years this thread has been going and still the solutions are a success!  Thank you!  Just fought this issue for weeks!

Sorry, one thing to add, 2 weeks ago when we set up the Sonos One / Alexa system, Alexa worked perfectly.

Just had the same problem, I have a beam and two Sonos ones, I tried the skill enable thing and it didn’t work, looked at other posts on rebooting etc so I simply pulled the power lead from the back of the beam and plugged it back in soon after, worked straight away. 

Alexa responds to a 'play music command' but it does not actually play anything. The Sonos One works fine from the app. Alexa also will tell you the weather etc... just fine. When music is playing if you ask Alexa to turn off music it says 'I can only do that when music is playing' . Alexa connects to tunein and my amazon account but doesn't end up playing anything even though it says it is.

This fixed it for me- great work!

Thanks disabling the skill helped me sort the issue. So frustrating I’ve only just got the “move” and it all started so well but Alexa seems to have a mind of her own I was on my way to Relate. Thanks again Novasupra

Removing Sonos as a skill in Alexa solved the problem for me too. It’s worth noting though that the first time I tried a voice command after re-enabling the skill, it still didn’t work, I waited a couple of minutes and tried again...success! It must take a moment to link between the systems.

Good Luck!

Brilliant. Worked perfectly after hours of trying other useless suggestions. Thanks 👍👍

Hey everyone I just fixed my issue. Originally I was told to delete the sonos and Alexa apps, reboot my sonos, etc but neither fixed the problem. Saw another post that said to disable the sonos skill in the Alexa app and reenable it. This worked! Hope this helps you guys too!!

Moderator Note: If the information listed here did not resolve your issue, try this topic: Resolving the Majority of Issues with Alexa on Sonos

Thank you very much. Worked like a charm.