Answered

Alexa reducing volume in all zones?

• 10 August 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and if so whether I can do anything to stop it happening?

i have 2 Echo Dots in the house, one of which is located in the basement. In the mornings, while I'm listening to the radio (via Tune in) on my sonos equipment in my bedroom, the volume suddenly drops right down for a few seconds and then pops back up. I've realised this is because my children are chatting to Alexa in the basement and the volume drops on any and all zones until the interaction has finished. Note: the basement and bedroom zones are not joined together at the time, they are playing different music sources. In fact, I'm not even sure that anything is being played in the basement at the time.
icon

Best answer by Kenneth_14 10 August 2018, 18:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
This will happen if they say the word “Alexa”. It is normal with Sonos gear (and other brands).
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
A bit more searching on this site reveals that this is a known issue and that people have been complaining about it for about a year... Here's hoping it gets sorted soon, as its patently not giving the user the best experience (of their Amazon or Sonos product). What's needed is the ability to duck the volume in the zone in which the Echo / Echo Dot / Alexa enabled Sonos product is based - without ducking it everywhere else.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I agree. It is definitely annoying.
Amazon and Sonos have stated it is coming, possibly as a function of Amazon's new SDK for 3rd party multi-room speakers.
I have the same issue and that is so so so so so annoying! I invested quite a bit in Sonos (I love it) with 8 different parts and I recently added Alexa in multiple rooms to control lights and music but having the music lowering as soon as somebody interact with Alexa is a nightmare. It really needs to be solved. Maybe by only lowering Sonos devices which are in the same Alexa group to the Alexa device you are talking to? Sonos is great but please sort this out.
The ducking issue is Echo-related only; wherefore I wager that it is in fact an Amazon-related issue. ONEs don't duck themselves which is equally annoying when one has several Sonos speakers in a group playing music at a higher volume.