Answered

Alexa or microphone not working

I set up my speaker 6 days ago and the microphone or alexa has stopped responding. I have unplugged it but no change. The only buttons that seem to work are the volume buttons. All worked perfectly until now.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 12 May 2018, 00:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Is the white light on top of the One on? If not, try pressing the microphone button to turn it on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Lwarden. Just as jgatie posted, double check to verify the light on the top (by the microphone icon) of the unit is illuminated. Otherwise, please submit a diagnostic report and I will be happy to take a look and advise on next steps. Thanks in advance!
Yep... light on and all looks normal. How do i do a diagnostic report?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yep... light on and all looks normal. How do i do a diagnostic report?

Please select Help>About>Submit Diagnostics... and post the number in this thread.

Can you toggle the Mic on and off by touching the Mic symbol and ensure the small round white light is displayed on the top of the Sonos One. If the problem persists then please check out the steps I've listed within the Answer to this post and let us know how you get on:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126/index1.html#post16210022
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I’m having the same exact problem on one of two of my Sonos One units. Worked like a charm for almost a month and now won’t respond or listen when I execute the Alexa command. Unplugging and replugging and no joy. I can press the button on top and it will take my command.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I submitted my diagnostic info under report 836149495. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I submitted my diagnostic info under report 836149495. Thanks.

Please follow the steps I've listed within the Answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126/index1.html
I have a similar problem, microphone light is off, microphone is not working and hence Alexa not working either
Diagnostic number 1233420327
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, walter45. Thanks for posting and sharing your diagnostic report number. Please reboot your player and then try to turn on the microphone by tapping the microphone icon on the top of the Sonos One.

If the issues persist...

It seems that your stereo pair is being "kicked" or deauthorized from the network. This could happen for a number of reasons and could certainly cause Alexa to not function properly. As such, I normally recommend giving our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. They are able to set up a remote session and get a closer look at the router settings and get this resolved. Thanks!
Badge
Same problem. Mic light doesnt turn on. Im in Mexico.
Same problem. Mic light doesnt turn on. Im in Mexico.
Try a very quick (fast) tap and release, rather than keeping finger on the button. See if that works.
Julioso21,

If that fails, then go into the Sonos App and goto Settings/Room Settings and choose the room for your speaker ... in those settings toggle 'off' and 'on' the button that says 'Speaker Touch Controls' and see if that fixes it.
Badge
Thanks ken. I did it. Doesnt Work. I read somwhere mic will only be available when Alexa is succefully configured. Alexa is still no available in Mexico. Could this be the problem? Or the light should be on though alexa is not configured?
Julioso21,

Oh right, I didn’t realise you were from a country that doesn’t yet support Alexa on Sonos. Hopefully these things will all get sorted eventually.
Badge
Ok I managed to activate alexa. Now the mic is working perfectly.
Is the white light on top of the One on? If not, try pressing the microphone button to turn it on.
I feel such an idiot. Tried everything except this! ?