Alexa Not Detecting Amazon Music Unlimited

• 27 November 2018
  • 11 replies

I have set up my Sonos One with my Amazon Account. I pay for Amazon Prime so I have access to Prime Music and can play this through the speaker. So far no issues.

My wife shares my Prime benefits but she also has Amazon Music Unlimited on her own account. I have therefore added her Amazon account to the Sonos app to make use of her subscription. In the Sonos app I can see both accounts and the account that is in use is my wife's as it has a tick next to it.

The problem: Alexa is not recognising my wife's Amazon Music Unlimited. When we ask her to play certain songs she says sorry you need an Amazon Music Unlimted subscription.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Dave

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

The Amazon Music Unlimited app needs to be added to both Alexa and Sonos. I assume the Alexa is registered to your Amazon account and not your wife's? You may need to switch that.
The Amazon Music Unlimited app needs to be added to both Alexa and Sonos. I assume the Alexa is registered to your Amazon account and not your wife's? You may need to switch that.

I downloaded the Alexa app to my phone and it's signed in to my own account. So I need to add her Unlimited music susbcription to my Alexa app somehow... is that what you're saying?

I downloaded the Alexa app to my phone and it's signed in to my own account. So I need to add her Unlimited music susbcription to my Alexa app somehow... is that what you're saying?

Yes. Not sure how you would do that. Mine was added automatically because it was the same as my Alexa account.
I'm not going to claim to know the detail of the program, but Amazon does a have a Family Plan that may fit your needs better than having 2 separate accounts between you and your wife.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/promotions/AmazonMusicUnlimitedFamily/ref=sv_dmusic_amu_flyout_family

I am pretty sure you'll be able to merge your accounts and retain separate playlists.
I've gone into the Alexa app settings and under Amazon Household I can confirm both my account and my wife's account are listed there.

Her Unlimited subscription is not accessible with voice commands on the Sonos One.

Is this intended behaviour?

Both accounts are on Sonos app (hers with tick)
Both accounts are on Alexa app
I know you can set a default service in Alexa, can you set a default account? If so, you would want the Unlimited account to be default.
I know you can set a default service in Alexa, can you set a default account? If so, you would want the Unlimited account to be default.

There's nothing in the settings to set a default account.

I've tried logging out of the Alexa app and logging back in using my wifes account. It still doesn't work :(

I'm at a complete loss here... I thought Sonos was supposed to be simple to set up?
The default is set in the Alexa app. Try this:

Step 1: Open the Alexa app on your phone or tablet.
Step 2: Tap the menu button in the upper-left corner, then tap Music
Step 3: Tap Choose default music services.

If both your Amazon Prime and your wife's Amazon Music Unlimited are listed, make the latter the default.
Jgatie thanks for helping me with this, unfortunately it's still not working.

Alexa app is logged in with my wife's account which is Unlimited. I followed your instructions and can see that she is the only one listed. Amazon Music is set as default music service.

I have also removed my Amazon music account from the sonos app.

When I ask Alexa to play a song that is on Unlimited I just get the response 'here is a sample...'

This is so confusing.
If you logged into your wife's app, I'm pretty sure you need to relink with Sonos by disabling and re-enabling the Sonos skill, then finding new devices.
I'm pretty sure I did that already but will try again.

I think the reason for the problem is related to the Alexa app. The login has to be the account with the Unlimited subscription. When I was logged in there was no way to set my wife's account as the default.

What I might just do is forget about Amazon Music altogether and use my free Deezer trial, then have a rethink in 6 months.

Things are never as simple as you hope they'll be, but that's the fun of technology I guess.

Cheers