Question

Alexa Drop-In on Sonos One

• 29 October 2017
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 2
  • Contributor I
  • 2 replies
The ability to use your Alexa enabled devices' as intercoms (drop-in) does not work on the Alexa enabled Sonos One. Or I can't figure out how to activate. Drop-in needs to be enables on your Amazon devices (echos, dots, etc.) in order to work but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that on the One. Am I missing something?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

I just bought two new Sonos Ones for our home office and bedroom upstairs and two Play 1s to use downstairs with the Echo we already have. I am very disappointed that the drop in feature dose not work, as this was one of the main reasons I paid more to get the Ones vs. the Play 1s for upstairs. Otherwise, I could have just bought a couple Echo dots and the Play 1s instead (and I still may as looks unlikely that this features will be supported by the Sonos Ones.) Like others, I expected that what works on the Echo would work on the Sonos One, but clearly I was mistaken.
That's up to Amazon. For now, they are limiting the Drop In feature to Echo devices only.
I also have had the same experience that a lot of You commented on. Bought the Sonos One (Actually 2 of them) Expecting the fI’ll Alexa experience.
However, I believe that Amazon will add this feature eventually, perhaps It was an oversight?Or maybe I’m optimistic? But keep in mind Amazon has allowed third parties access to their system, meaning companies like Apple have not done so. Siri is a closed system. I don’t know why Amazon would limit just this one feature?
Userlevel 1
Been a long time waiting for this feature and still nothing. Also just wondering here does anyone from Sonos ever comment on these concerns their customers have or Ammi silly and misguided to think that a company would create a community for its users so they could actually communicate to us about issues raised . . . . . Very disilusioned
I’m always amazed at people who refuse to listen to simple facts. Amazon doesn’t allow this feature on devices other than their own. Go whine at Amazon!
Userlevel 1
Really I wasn't aware that it was whining by stating a simple fact. Had Sonos had the decency in the first place to advertise the Sonos One with LIMITED Alexa integration then there would probably not be so many posts across the internet complaining about the issue. False advertising in my book is something I feel able to complain about having spent a lot of money on something without it being deemed as "whining".
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I’m always amazed at people who refuse to listen to simple facts. Amazon doesn’t allow this feature on devices other than their own. Go whine at Amazon!
I am always amazed that some people will defend Sonos come what may and become aggressive with anyone who is not a Sonos evangelist!

Yes, it looks like Amazon have withheld this feature and have stopped Sonos implementing it. But Sonos should have made it clear in their advertising what the Sonos One could and could not do.

It is perfectly fair for Sonos One purchasers to express their disappoint at being mislead. It is also reasonable to advise them to reach out to Amazon on this issue. But it is not reasonable to flame them.

Just my opinion, YMMV.
Really I wasn't aware that it was whining by stating a simple fact. Had Sonos had the decency in the first place to advertise the Sonos One with LIMITED Alexa integration then there would probably not be so many posts across the internet complaining about the issue. False advertising in my book is something I feel able to complain about having spent a lot of money on something without it being deemed as "whining".

Sonos cannot be responsible for your assumptions. It's just that simple. Below is the link where Sonos says what you can with Alexa:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/alexa-on-sonos

If you go view the product on Amazon, it even says not all Alexa commands work.

No where does it say that you can do drop in's or sync with other non-sonos alexa devices. It does not promise that you can do everything you can do with an echo. Although it certainly has been done before, a company is not required to advertise all the things that a product doesn't do. I understand why assumptions are made, and the resulting disappointment when assumptions aren't met. I just can't see how you can call that false advertising.

I have little doubt that Sonos (and other companies with Alexa enabled devices) discussed how they would communicate this issue with their legal and advertising department. I suppose I would prefer companies try and anticipate assumptions made about product features, but it typically isn't good advertising to tell customers all the things your product can't do.

It's just my opinion, but given the massive volume of products available today, and the equally massive availability of information about these products, the ability to ask questions about products...why not take the time to research? I get that you may not even know what questions to even ask, but you'll often find answers to questions I didn't even think to ask rather quickly.