Alexa dot and Sonos

• 16 June 2018
  • 3 replies

Hello, I have a question to the community... I have an Alexa dot connected to a stereo system via aux cable, and also a Sonos system with 3 speakers. My question is - can I tell Alexa to play music on a stereo system AND on Sonos as well? I have no problem when asking Alexa to play music on stereo system OR on Sonos, but can't get her to play music on both systems at the same time. Is this possible? Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

When you using the aux (line-out port) on the echo device it is outputting the audio source you would normally hear from the Echo speaker ... all you have done is shifted the output to your stereo system speakers

I assume you play to your Sonos devices using the Sonos Skill ... this outputs the audio to the chosen Sonos Speakers/Rooms only ... the skill does not output to the echo device.

So the way you have your equipment setup at the moment, the answer is 'no', you unfortunately cannot output audio to both at the same time.

One way around this is to buy a Sonos 'Connect' and attach that to your stereo instead, then group that 'Connect' with your Sonos Speakers, though you 'may' (likely) get some sync issues across the devices.
Thank you Ken, I thought to buy a Connect, but I think I will wait for an updated version of it.
I think a Sonos Connect is fine if you want to play your stereo tuner/cd player/tape/turntable or other audio source on your Sonos speakers (only) as it will then play in sync all to the 'grouped' Sonos devices, but it may not be in sync with your attached stereo speakers when they are connected to your stereo Receiver/Amp, but you are able to attach a set of 'amplified/active' speakers to the Analog Audio out ports and those should then play in sync.

The Sonos Connect:Amp, on the other otherhand, I personally see as being ideal in a situation where a user takes a good pair of 'passive' speakers (standalone) and connects the Amp output to those. Those speakers will then play in sync with any audio playing on the 'grouped' Sonos Speakers. It’s also good for separate audio components-in like a CD Player or Tuner etc.

You may also be able to attach your stereo (components) to the 'analog in' on the Amp and your passive speakers to the speaker terminal out posts ... but it really depends on your stereo.

I perhaps would like to see a new device from Sonos that combines the features of both the Connect and the Connect:Amp, but it may be too costly for Sonos to do that and make it competitive and viable.