Answered

Alexa controlling a different room! Is she confused?

Badge +1
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 25 replies
This is weird, and it had never happened before (or I didn't realize it): I have Sonos One's, in the living room and in the bedroom. It's happening that, if I say "Alexa play" and I say it in the living room (a pair of Sonos One's), it responds to me, but it starts playing music in the bedroom (a single Sonos One). The same happens the other way around: I say play or stop in the bedroom, the device acknowledges the command, but execute it in the other room. It does work properly if I name the room, but I didn't need to specify the room before. All of this started to occur right after I was experimenting with Alexa groups (where I tried to create an "everywhere" group). Have any of you had the same difficulty?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 28 March 2019, 19:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
All of this started to occur right after I was experimenting with Alexa groups (where I tried to create an "everywhere" group).

Think you answered yourself right here.

Can you delete the group? Does it work as intended now?
This would happen if you setup an Alexa group with Living Room as the Alexa Device, bedroom as the preferred speaker...and vice versa. Since you were messing around with Alexa groups, this is probably what's going on or something similar.

In almost all situations, if a Sonos Beam or Sonos One is the Alexa device in a group, then you don't want to specify a preferred speaker.
Badge +1
Thank you for the replies. I deleted all groups on the Alexa app, but somehow Alexa is very confused and is still controlling devices as a group. There are no more groups, and therefore no more preferred speakers. I deregistered all speakers, disabled the sonos skill, deleted the app, and set up everything again, and this is still happening. So weird. I hope a Sonos representative can chime in.
You might want to repeat the issue and submit a diagnostic within 10 minutes afterwards. Post it here. That might give a Sonos rep something to look at. Calling or using twitter/fb maybe faster.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

You might want to take a look at the Alexa groups again. I think a recent Alexa update may be automatically creating groups for newly added Alexa devices. If that's happening, and the names of your devices are getting croossed somehow, maybe that explains what you're seeing?
Userlevel 7
Thank you for the replies. I deleted all groups on the Alexa app, but somehow Alexa is very confused and is still controlling devices as a group. There are no more groups, and therefore no more preferred speakers. I deregistered all speakers, disabled the sonos skill, deleted the app, and set up everything again, and this is still happening. So weird. I hope a Sonos representative can chime in.

Ger75

Hint: After doing all the above you need to log-out of Alexa and sign in again. That will reset Alexa to your new parameters. Of course if you did log-out and sign-in again and are still having issues then submitting a diagnostic is the next order of business.
That's a good point @AJTrek1.
Badge +1
Oh well I tried everything, including signing out, deleting the rooms before deleting the Alexa app, etc. Nothing works.

I am submitting the diagnostic:

Ger75,

Is the Sonos App playing to the 'correct' speakers here? Just wondering if you may have mistakenly (somehow) swapped their rooms?

Anyhow, assuming that is not the case...

You may want to try removing either or both your Amazon Echo and Sonos devices from your Amazon online account... login online and goto 'manage content and devices' section to actually deregister and remove your devices from your Account. You can also deregister your Amazon Alexa Apps here for all your mobile controllers. I would suggest clearing out the affected devices and Apps.

Next, at the bottom of the devices page in the content area, look for a link called 'Amazon Account Login' and if you follow that link, you will see that you are able to delete the Amazon/Sonos sharing agreement that you accepted when you installed the Sonos Skill. I would choose to delete that agreement too.

Next goto https://alexa.amazon.com and login. Goto the smart-home section/devices area and scroll screen to choose the option to 'forget all'. I’m assuming you have no other smart-home devices here, as they will be removed too.

Once you have done all that, then go back and begin to set things up again on your mobile controller starting perhaps with your Amazon App.

Please note that undertaking all the above steps may remove all, so it’s like setting things up from scratch if you choose to do these things. So this is entirely at your own risk!

Anyhow I hope that helps you to resolve this 'unusual' matter. The steps are fairly easy and straightforward to follow, particularly if you understand what you need to do to re-set up your devices again after their removal from your Amazon and Alexa accounts.
Badge +1
Thanks Ken for your detailed suggestions. I tried them. I tried it all! Nothing works. It seems like a glitch on amazon's part. I notice this pattern: Alexa controls the device that was used last time. For example, let's say I use Sonos through Alexa commands in the bedroom. I stop the music. Then if I go to the living room and I say "play", the music comes from the speaker in the bedroom, not the speakers in the living room. If I say "stop", it stops the music in the bedroom. "Play" again, and sure enough, it plays in the bedroom again. I would need to say "play in the living room" for the living room speakers to start playing music. I deregistered online, eliminated groups, I did everything, but somehow Alexa is super confused. There is no answer from Sonos on this forum, I guess I'll call them. Thanks again.
Ger75

Does the same problem occur if you create two Alexa Enabled Groups in the Amazon Alexa App as follows...

Group 1
Living Room . This is the Alexa Group Name
Set the living room Sonos speaker as the Alexa enabling device in first part of the group.
Also set the living room speaker as the 'Preferred' device

Group 2
Bedroom . This is the Alexa Group Name
Set the bedroom Sonos speaker as the Alexa enabling device in first part of the group.
Also set the becroom speaker as the 'Preferred' device

I’m just curious if this will resolve the matter. I can’t be certain it will, but it’s worth a try, perhaps?
Badge +1
Ken: I did try that before, didn’t work either (great idea though!). Then I reset the Sonos app. Didn’t work either. I created Alexa groups again. Just in case you know? It didn’t work the first time, but then it started working fine! I think this rather new technology is still buggy and these problems are inevitable to a certain extent. We’ll see how this develops, and I am not touching anything now that my system works (hopefully it’ll stay this way). Cheers.