Alexa cannot hear me via Sonos ones

• 27 February 2018
  • 14 replies

I have just purchased two Sonos one , having previously owned an Homepod - while the sound of the two ones combined is indeed better than the Homepod , I am VERY disappointed with the responsiveness. It is like Alexa cannot hear me when I have the music on.. we seriously have to shout to get hurt when the music is at half volume... the homepod would pick our voices up from another room...

Is this something that will be improved overtime ? Is anyone else having the same problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Also have the same problem.
Bought it to replace an echo dot in our master bath. After the music starts i literally have to scream at the play one to get it to respond.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
@freuk74 - Be sure your Sonos Ones are updated to the latest firmware, then try turning the mic on each of them off and then back on again. This will likely solve the problem, but you may have to occasionally cycle the on/off switch again, at least until Sonos issues a fix for this known issue.
I have tried. Still need to scream. Just disappointing after the HomePod being so responsive. Let’s hope it gets improved with time. I would have expected both speakers to have their mics working at any time !!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
In that case, I'd probably contact Sonos support. I tend to play my music at a fairly high volume, and only occasionally have an issue getting the Sonos Ones to respond. If I have to yell at them, I know it's time to cycle the mic button again.
I am not sure what they would do and I didn’t purchase it from Sonos direct but will give it a try 🙂
Badge
I have the same exact issue: a sonos one replacing an echo in the master bath. I love the audio from the Sonos, but literally having to yell at the speaker, standing directly over it with no response is ridiculous. Keeping this thread alive so Sonos can fix it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
As noted elsewhere, try turning the mic off and then on again. That will usually restore the sensitivity of the Sonos One, at least until Sonos releases a permanent fix.
Badge
Thanks Master T, I noticed that in other threads. I will try that out ASAP!
I have the same problem and its really driving me crazy and not only that sometimes the Sonos does not respond and there is nothing on.
yep having the same problem. When music is playing they become less responsive than my Mum without her hearing aid.
My wife has to scream at it to work while playing music. Often the dot in the kitchen will "Hear:" first and complete. My lower tone works better. Any thing I can do now. Aug 2018
Alexa still quite deaf if sonos one is playing. Stand over it and scream. When going to fix. While you are at it what about truplay for android. Just sell a standard mic to plug into our phones.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Stereo paired HomePods are dramatically better than the 1's or One's and also better than stereo Play 5's for music quality while being quite a bit cheaper than Play 5's. That and the highly sensitive microphone are why I still use them and Sonos. The microphones on my Beam seem a lot better than the One's.
Badge +1
Fix works with Beam as well. Turn mic off turn mic on.
Seems to have been around for a while any ideas when it will be fixed? Or like most electrical stuff it all needs to be turned off then on again at some stage.