Answered

Sonos Port in Corporate LAN

• 7 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I am designing a system incorporating the Sonos Port to a Background Music System. I have searched for technical documents online and unfortunately cannot find the answer I am looking for.

My question is: 

1. Can I connected Sonos port to a network switch (corporate LAN) and users can connect to Wireless Access points in various rooms?
  2. The system will consist of multiple Sonos Ports installed with in the AV rack and to be designated to be used for particular areas with in the building. How can users differentiate which port to connect in any given area? Can we rename each device dedicated to each area or can we hide other Ports and only show Ports for that particular area?
  3. As to LAN security, what thing should be considered during setup? Can you please provide configuration documents and other manuals?

Thanks

Regards

BH

icon

Best answer by Corry P 7 August 2023, 12:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @BHPort 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

1. Yes, but the network would have to be configured to allow it - corporate networks tend to only give WiFi devices access to the internet, and not to the LAN (ethernet connected devices like PCs) at large. As you would probably not want to allow every employee access to Sonos, a VLAN might be a good idea - add the Ports and a couple of permitted controllers (connecting to a separate WiFi, itself configured to allow LAN access) to it.
  2. Yes - name them whatever you like. The names will be shown in all copies of the Sonos app. “Port” will only be shown in the room’s settings.
  3. This would be up to your IT department to figure out, but Sonos systems do not have security (other than an account log-in to allow configuration) - if you can access the network, you can access Sonos through the app. As for what Sonos needs from the network in order to operate, please see our Configure STP settings to work with Sonos help page.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate.

Just to add: if all the Ports are to be wired then (a) all their radios can (and should) be disabled, and therefore (b) you may be able to get away without tinkering with some switch STP settings (e.g. path costs), because loops can’t occur. You’d still need to disable BPDU guard.

Also: this may be of relevance: https://www.sonos.com/sonos-pro