Answered

sonos network still allowing guest access

• 16 June 2023
  • 4 replies

I have Sonos and it is on its own network yet guests are now accessing my system from the guest network. If they are on Wi-Fi they can access my Sonos system. This is new and something I can’t figure out how to fix. 

any help is appreciated. I have a netgear orbi system.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 16 June 2023, 16:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If this is a concern, don’t share that wifi network password with your guests. Sonos doesn’t provide any security over whatever your network is configured for.

They are accessing sonos via the guest network. Sonos is not on the guest network. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

It seems the ‘guest’ network on Orbi consumer products may not be fully isolated, possibly by design, more info here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/CAUTION-Orbi-s-Wifi-Guest-Network-does-not-really-isolate-guests/td-p/1221867

@Valvequeen,
Most ‘guest’ networks have an ‘isolation’ option in the router settings - in the case of my own router/mesh setup, I can give guests just internet access only and no access to any other device (wired or wireless) on the network, or I can give them access to individually chosen devices by MAC address  - so the fact your ‘guest’ WiFi provides access to all Sonos devices is very much down to your router, rather than a Sonos issue.