Answered

Playbar and Wifi 6 incompatible?

• 12 December 2023
  • 5 replies

I have a Playbar that's about 6 years old but rarely Used. I reset it to where it's flashing green and downloaded the app. In setting up a new system, I selected product and the app could not fund the playbar. In speaking with customer service, he informed me that these older Sonos products are incompatible with wifi6 and that i should call my isp to disable wifi6 in my household. Wondering if this is true as he sounded like he was just making conjectures. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

BTW, when I hard wrote wired it, it worked. I need it on wireless and my network cable won't reach. 

Tia!

icon

Best answer by buzz 12 December 2023, 07:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe just turn off the WPA3 authentication?

I'm currently on WPA2

I’ve not messed with it yet, but isn’t WiFi 6 backwards compatible? Is there a setting on the router? I’d agree that most Sonos devices aren’t WiFi 6 devices, but this would be the first I’ve heard of an incompatibility issue. 

I’d try at least one thing, wiring one of your Sonos speakers directly to the router with an Ethernet cable (not a surround, or Sub), and see if your system is recognized. 

There are a lot of network savvy folks here, I expect one will come along soon. In the meantime, it may be helpful to know who your ISP is, and what device they gave you as a router. 

See myth #2:

https://www.netgear.com/hub/network/wifi-6-isnt-a-big-deal-or-is-it/#:

Make sure that the router is set for b/g compatibility.