Orbi 960 Mesh with Sonos - SOLVED

• 1 April 2024
  • 1 reply

I have been scouring the Internet for a solution. I upgraded from an older Orbi mesh network to the Orbi 960 quad band.  The upgrade definitely was an improvement to my home’s Wi-Fi.  It felt like a downgrade for my Sonos set up.  I have two sound zones set up for whether I am in the pool or on the patio and whether I am watching the projector or the television.  For when in the pool, I have two amps for front and rear speakers.  I also have two roams near the rear speakers so I can give Alexa commands and so I can enjoy television late at night without disturbing the neighbors. I initially had two Orbi satellites and then added a third satellite outside to try to fix the issue with my speakers not grouping.  Having read that strong Wi-Fi was better than SonosNet, I refused to think of wiring a speaker as an option. I was wrong. I wired an old Sonos one to my Orbi 960 router, which is in AP mode. Problem solved. My speakers group incredibly quickly, and I can once again listen to TV or projector audio on my roams.  The interesting thing is that the amps for my pool zone are not connected to Sonosnet. The majority of my speakers, however, are connected to Sonosnet.  For anyone questioning whether to try Sonosnet, just try it.

1 reply

Badge

I have been scouring the Internet for a solution. I upgraded from an older Orbi mesh network to the Orbi 960 quad band.  The upgrade definitely was an improvement to my home’s Wi-Fi.  It felt like a downgrade for my Sonos set up.  I have two sound zones set up for whether I am in the pool or on the patio and whether I am watching the projector or the television.  For when in the pool, I have two amps for front and rear speakers.  I also have two roams near the rear GMSocrates speakers so I can give Alexa commands and so I can enjoy television late at night without disturbing the neighbors. I initially had two Orbi satellites and then added a third satellite outside to try to fix the issue with my speakers not grouping.  Having read that strong Wi-Fi was better than SonosNet, I refused to think of wiring a speaker as an option. I was wrong. I wired an old Sonos one to my Orbi 960 router, which is in AP mode. Problem solved. My speakers group incredibly quickly, and I can once again listen to TV or projector audio on my roams.  The interesting thing is that the amps for my pool zone are not connected to Sonosnet. The majority of my speakers, however, are connected to Sonosnet.  For anyone questioning whether to try Sonosnet, just try it.

Hello, @T800Model101 

Thank you for sharing your experience! It’s great to hear that wiring a Sonos One to your Orbi 960 router in AP mode resolved the issue with your speakers not grouping. SonosNet indeed offers advantages in terms of reliability and communication between Sonos devices. For those considering whether to try SonosNet, your solution provides valuable insight. Enjoy your improved audio setup! 🎶🔊

Best Regard,
ryan1969