Networking setup

• 21 February 2024
  • 12 replies

I’m working on a large system for a customer. 95% of the system is all in one large space. We have a mix of subs, Play:5, Fives, Era 300s, and and Arc. Everything that has a network jack is plugged into the network. The network itself is Comcast>Sophos>10 gig Netgear core>Unifi Switch > access points and remote switches. By remote switches I mean several 8-12 port switches throughout that are connected back to the Unifi switch. We are experiencing latency in using the app to pair zones, change music, navigate etc. Also, our players are randomly dropping offline. Here is the network map. Normally I only deal with Ports as sources so this one is a bit out of my usual expertise. 

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Some of your older devices will only work on 2.4ghz wifi, so I’d suggest changing 2.4/5.0ghz wifi names to be sure all Sonos devices are running on 2.4ghz. 

The newest SONOS units to not post any data to the Network Matrix. That’s why you have so many blank cells.

It is critical that Ubiquiti switches be set for STP when more than one SONOS unit is wired to the network. Do not wire any SONOS units directly to a UDM PRO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Also make sure only one of channels 1, 6 or 11 is being used. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You have a limit of 32 Sonos devices in total. Are you at that limit?

Some of your older devices will only work on 2.4ghz wifi, so I’d suggest changing 2.4/5.0ghz wifi names to be sure all Sonos devices are running on 2.4ghz. 

Noted, it’s not an ideal setup for sure. 

Also make sure only one of channels 1, 6 or 11 is being used. 

This has been verified at least once. 

You have a limit of 32 Sonos devices in total. Are you at that limit?

We are not quite there. How do stereo pairs or subs paired with speakers fall into this count? 

The newest SONOS units to not post any data to the Network Matrix. That’s why you have so many blank cells.

It is critical that Ubiquiti switches be set for STP when more than one SONOS unit is wired to the network. Do not wire any SONOS units directly to a UDM PRO.

I’ll make sure we check that setting in Unifi. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Stereo pair is two devices; with a Sub is three…

Stereo pair is two devices; with a Sub is three…

Thank you, so it’s literally a count of physical devices not “zones”. Also I can’t believe that with the number of commercial spaces I see using Sonos, there isn’t a way to literally put ALL of them into a large zone without having to manage it in the end user app. 

Not sure why Sonos would bother, with the ease of grouping rooms, as well as the ‘Everywhere’ button in the grouping menu.  

Not sure why Sonos would bother, with the ease of grouping rooms, as well as the ‘Everywhere’ button in the grouping menu.  

Seeing this flaw is my #1 reason not to use it in commercial spaces. I might use a Port as a source, but the value in putting the speakers in is lost. Especially if an electrician has to come in and put in outlets. A larger space like a restaurant I’d do a port to a DSP and PoE speakers.

There has to be some reason why Sonos is marketed as a ‘Whole Home Music System’, and not a commercial system, no?

Although recently they’ve come out with 

I’m not a subscriber, so I’m not at all familiar with what it offers. Perhaps it might be something advantageous for you?

They had to because so many people were installing them in commercial buildings that the licensing rights for performances of recordings in public spaces became too much of a problem for Sonos. Prior to this endeavor there were a few options, but not something the average business owner that bought some speakers at Best Buy and installed themselves would know about. And honestly, I’ve seen Sonos in more businesses than I see it in homes. It’s not super common in high end homes and amongst family and friends I don’t think I know anyone that has it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

For large spaces I’m a fan of using sound systems designed for them. Feeding them from a Port is an ideal solution for many.

Add a mixer between the port and amplification and you can add in a mike for PA use too.

I was going to say something about wimpy PoE speakers but looking at the newer specs I’m seeing 100 Watts per port. That would certainly do the job.