Works With Sonos - Onkyo TX-NR696 Stops Working When One SL Connected

• 7 January 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello all,

I recently invested in all new equipment including 5 Sonos Amps, 1 Sonos Port and 2 Sonos One SL units.  The Sonos Port is connected to my new Onkyo TX-NR696.  I purchased this unit specifically for the “Works with Sonos” integration.

I’m running into a very frustrating problem.  The “Works with SONOS” features (SONOS app volume control, input switching) stop working as soon as my 2nd Sonos One is powered on.  

Currently the Onkyo, all 5 SONOS amps and the port are connected via ethernet to the same network switch.  In this state, I can get into the Onkyo Hardware Menu, go to “works with sonos” and it will find all these SONOS devices and I can select the “Living Room Port” and everything works as advertised.  

If I plug in (power only as the One’s are connected via WiFi) 1 of the One SL’s, everything will continue to work.  Once I plug in the 2nd One SL the Onkyo integration stops functioning.  (No volume control, input switching, etc).  If I go into the Onkyo menu and attempt to find my Sonos devices nothing appears.  If you do this too many times the menu crashes and a “please wait appears”.  (This can only be fixed by pulling the power plug and restarting).

I have tried every combination I can come up with (wireless, wired, using my wifi network, using built in sonos-net) and the integration will work up to a certain point but once that last device is connected it fails.  Once the system fails I have to unplug ALL sonos devices and the onkyo and then plug them back in.  Simply doing this to the sonos devices or to the Onkyo does not restore functionality.

Sonos support says everything looks good on their end I should contact Onkyo -- which I will do once they open tomorrow.  Curious if anyone else has had similar experiences? Onkyo is running firmware from 12/22/20 (R122) and Sonos devices on their latest FW.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I don’t know the answer here, but I did search and find this old onkyo thread from last year and thought it might be worth you looking at the posts to see they might offer you some suggestions to try:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/onkyo-works-with-sonos-issue-please-help-6821243

Thanks Ken,

Looks like similar issues a year ago that were fixed with a firmware update.  I’ve contacted Onkyo today and am waiting to hear back from engineering.