Answered

wireless to wired

• 18 December 2023
  • 1 reply

I have 10 play: one and 2 play: five speakers that are all wireless in my retail store. I have wifi throughout with also a boost. But the music will cut in and out at random times bc either the network looses connection or the song is not formatted for sonos play (keep in mind I am using sonos radio!). Being frustrated with this, I am trying to wire the speakers and got some done but went into the setting to disable the wireless in a play: one and the speaker became “lost” in my network. Only way to get it back was factory reset the speaker and start over, but the system wouldn’t connect via wired. Need help please!

icon

Best answer by buzz 18 December 2023, 05:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I recommend that you refrain from Factory Reset without further consult. As you have discovered, the Factory Reset does not usually resolve fundamental issues, wastes a lot of time, and destroys diagnostic data that may have been useful to discover the fundamental issue.

Unless you have a couple SONOS units virtually touching, I recommend that you keep all of the radios enabled. When one or more SONOS units are wired, SONOS will build SonosNet, a private wireless mesh network. SONOS will use all of the radios to build the most reliable network. If a unit’s radio is disabled, it cannot participate in the wireless optimization process -- which is dynamic and the best wireless paths may not be obvious to the human.

I’m anal about wiring, wire as many units as you can.

If you Group the players, experiment with how the Group is built. As you build a Group the first unit becomes the Group’s “Coordinator”. All network traffic for the Group passes through this unit. A wired unit is the best choice for Coordinator. The worst Coordinator choice would be a wireless unit inundated with interference.

We cannot rule out a hardware issue. (including defective network wiring) Experiment with powering down a unit for a while, paying attention to the performance of the remaining units. Keep a log.

I once had a monster issue. After a little logging it became clear that some evenings were fine, others were bad, and Sunday afternoon was impossible. I slipped a copy of my log under my neighbor’s door, along with a polite note. A couple days later the annotated note returned. She sometimes traveled overnight and Sunday she called Mom. She was using a cordless phone system known to wreck the WiFi band. I was able to resolve the issue by avoiding wireless connections near her base station.

Communication issues can result in that misleading SONOS Radio message.

If you haven’t already, “Reserve” IP addresses for all regular network clients. Your router manual should show how to do this.

Finally, you should submit a diagnostic within 10 minutes of an “event”, log the confirmation number, and contact SONOS phone support.