Answered

Wired amp still needs wireless network?

• 29 April 2024
  • 9 replies

I have two amps in wireless mode. I’m trying to redo my network and so wired them to the router/switch and got them to WM0. When I connect to my new network though it can’t find them to control and if I do the “fix” link in the app it says a wired component can not connect to a wireless network. I have to connect to my old wireless network to “see” and control them. 

I finally just reset them over to my new wireless network but I was hoping to have them wired and control them from the app no matter what network I was on. Anyone get how wired works and can explain it?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 29 April 2024, 05:53

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos devices and the Sonos Controllers must be on the same network. They use several protocols that do not pass between networks.

Ok but if I hardwire the device to the wireless router how does it know which wireless network to use? I have about 6 SSID/wireless networks right now (trying to reduce but there will always be at least 2). 

When I hardwire and attach to it, it says wired devices can not be associated with a wireless network. My app will always be connected wirelessly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sounds like you have a networking mess, all I can suggest is digging into what you have and getting an understanding of how your multiple wireless networks are connected to the wired one.

When you hard-wire to the router, the router, not Sonos controls the further connections.

When you select the wireless SSID to connect to with your client device you have selected the network the Controller will use.

Sonos doesn’t care about any of that, all it cares about and requires is that the wired and wireless being connected to are on the same network.

Ok. The wireless points are all plugged onto the same switch/network but I assume that Sonos can’t work that way and needs to be upstream. 

The way Sonos works is all devices need to be on the same subnet. They all ‘talk’ to each other, constantly, for various reasons. Splitting up subnets blocks Sonos devices. 

Thanks 

I have two WiFi networks, but they are both on the same subnet. The SONOS units are free to choose their own access point. This is handy if an access point goes down for maintenance. The players will simply jump to another.

Buzz - How do the players know the access point password? Did you have to set them up on both and how did you do that?

It's a little messy. Somehow disable the WiFi in use (change SSID or password or disable the access points) The system will have a fit and offer to fix it. You’ll be able to discover and add the “new” network. Once this is added, enable the original WiFi. You could power down one of the AMP’s as a backup while you add the new SSID. 

I took a player to work, it had a fit. After the fix I took the unit home and it informed the others about this new network. Now I can simply walk into the office with any player from home without a fuss.

SONOS will allow up to 16 networks.