Answered

Will the Sub integrate with stereo speakers wired to an Amp?

• 26 April 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge

I use my Amp to allow me to use my Monitor Audio Bronze 2 Stereo speakers. I have now ordered a Sub which I want to use with this set up but have a concern. Will it integrate and perform the way it should? ie. will the Sub take the bass sounds 'away' from the MABs, deliver enhanced bass and allow them to deliver 'better' mids and highs?

icon

Best answer by ratty 26 April 2020, 14:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

For integration with passive speakers Sonos Sub will offer settings to alter the crossover frequency and the phase, to match with the main speakers’ response characteristics.

Installing any subwoofer manually usually takes a bit of trial and error. Experiment, including with sub positioning. That said, it’s usually best to locate a sub along the same wall as the main speakers, ideally between them, and as central as is practicable. You’ll find copious advice online.

There’s a basic setup wizard in the Sonos controller, but you may also wish to download some subwoofer test tones. These are usually stepped tones or a frequency sweep. Listen for a smooth handover from the main speakers to the sub, without undue boom or suck-out.

If you have access to a sound pressure meter, so much the better. However note that room resonances can give rise to local peaks and troughs at a meter’s single fixed microphone location which might be less obvious to a human with two ears and a head which moves.

Going by ear is often the simplest approach. Listen to different music and refine the settings over time. 

Badge

Much appreciated, Ratty.

“For integration with passive speakers Sonos Sub will offer settings to alter the crossover frequency and the phase, to match with the main speakers’ response characteristics.”

In layman’s terms is this a ‘Yes’ to my question? ie. the Sub will integrate and perform the way it does for Sonos speakers. It’ll take the bass sounds 'away' from the MABs, deliver enhanced bass and allow them to deliver 'better' mids and highs. I think you’re saying it will?

I believe though, you’re saying this will this not be automatic, via Trueplay? I think you’re saying I’ll have to do that manually, by ear?

If I could ask a further question? This Sub will ‘live’ in the conservatory, nothing I can really do about the accoustics in there, I’m afraid. But, I’d also like to move it occasionally through to the Lounge where I have a Beam and two One SL surrounds for movie or series bingeing. If I do this will I have to retune it every time I move it? ie. tune it for the Lounge, re-tune it when I move it back into the Conservatory, re-tune back in the Lounge, re-re-tune etc. etc. Will it need to be tuned every time it’s moved or can I store the tuning per room somehow?

Cheers,

Jim

“For integration with passive speakers Sonos Sub will offer settings to alter the crossover frequency and the phase, to match with the main speakers’ response characteristics.”

In layman’s terms is this a ‘Yes’ to my question? ie. the Sub will integrate and perform the way it does for Sonos speakers. It’ll take the bass sounds 'away' from the MABs, deliver enhanced bass and allow them to deliver 'better' mids and highs. I think you’re saying it will?

Yes, the Amp should peel off the bass and send it to the Sub instead of to the main speakers. Often main speakers sound a bit better in the mids as a result.

I believe though, you’re saying this will this not be automatic, via Trueplay? I think you’re saying I’ll have to do that manually, by ear?

Correct. There’s no Trueplay option for your configuration. The only passives which can be Trueplay tuned with the Amp are the Sonance ones which Sonos sells. The Amp is able to detect their signature. 

If I could ask a further question? This Sub will ‘live’ in the conservatory, nothing I can really do about the accoustics in there, I’m afraid. But, I’d also like to move it occasionally through to the Lounge where I have a Beam and two One SL surrounds for movie or series bingeing. If I do this will I have to retune it every time I move it? ie. tune it for the Lounge, re-tune it when I move it back into the Conservatory, re-tune back in the Lounge, re-re-tune etc. etc. Will it need to be tuned every time it’s moved or can I store the tuning per room somehow?

When you unbond a Sub and rebond it somewhere else both rooms would need to be retuned. In the case of the Beam setup this would presumably be a Trueplay retune. In the conservatory you could just manually restore the settings you had before. 

Badge

Clear, concise and complete, you’ve answered everything, I won’t cancel my Sub order.

Wait, if I may, any more advice for manually tuning the crossover, Ratty? What am I listening for, is the ‘crossover’ when I hear more sound(bass) from the Sub, how do I know to stop, any particular tracks you’d recommend as test beds? I have Amazon HD Music at the moment so should be able to source anything you mention. My main listening is Max Richter, Johan Johannsson, Olafur Arnalds etc. also like some Blues and easy listening Jazz.

Cheers,

Jim

ps  - I can do this with the Sub in wireless mode, I don’t need to cable it to the Amp?

Assuming you ordered from Sonos, you have a period in which you can send the Sub back for full refund anyhow if it doesn’t work out. I don’t think you’ll return it though; the first one I received brought a smile to my face.

I don’t know about Amazon Music but you could try a search for “subwoofer test”. My Deezer account offered a few hits; I don’t know if they’re any good.

You can easily find authentic test files to download via Google. For example here’s one I’ve used: https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

Unless you upload to, say, Google Play Music and play from there you’d need to put the file(s) somewhere on the network and index it/them into your local library. If you don’t have a local library set up you could either index the file(s) off your computer or copy to a USB stick and shove it in your router (assuming it offers such an option).

As for tweaking the sub during regular music listening, well, there’s lots of advice online. A rule of thumb is that if you’re consciously aware of the sub it’s set too high. It should just feel like a natural extension of the sound from the main speakers. If the sub’s too high then in the crossover region there’d be ‘tubbiness’, ‘bloat’, ‘boom’, etc. Many audiophile subjective descriptions are nonsense, but in this case they have some merit.

ps  - I can do this with the Sub in wireless mode, I don’t need to cable it to the Amp?

Sonos Sub doesn’t require a network cable. It talks to the Amp (or Beam if moved to the other room) via 5GHz wireless. 

Badge

Sonos Sub doesn’t require a network cable. It talks to the Amp (or Beam if moved to the other room) via 5GHz wireless. 

Yes, was aware of that, just covering it in case the non-Sonos stereo pair introduced a wrinkle and restricted my options.

Again you’ve answered everything fully and again I thank you, Ratty.

Cheers,

Jim