Answered

Why MUST SONOS move connect to wifi by itself

• 20 February 2020
  • 7 replies

Just bought a new SONOS Move.

Right now, I cannot decide if this was a really stupid move (get it), on my part, the answer to my question will answer this for me.

I have multiple SONOS products, sporting a total of 14 units.

And now a Move.

But connecting it to my existing system is not a process I get or agree with.

Seems to me, that the ONLY way, I’ll ever get this Move to function, is to provide the unit my wifi credentials .

Can this really be true? I mean, when the other 13 units clearly function together, and a easily connect without providing any wifi credentials. Everything else is connected via cable through a ZP90, and I intend to keep it this way.

Is there any way, that I can possibly connect this Move to my existing system without providing my wifi credentials to the unit?

Maybe create a temp guest network and then disable that to include the Move to the SONOS wifi instead?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 20 February 2020, 19:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The Move needs to connect to your WiFi directly, not to Sonos own mesh network by design.  The mesh networks based on the devices in the network consistently being in the same location to communicate with other devices.  The Move is designed to not be physically stationary, and thus would not be very good in the mesh network.  It’s inclusion would cause issues with playback every time it’s moved to another physical location.  Thus it made more sense to design it to connect your WiFi network, where physically moving the speaker doesn’t cause any issues. (as long as you’re in range)

Worth noting as well that the WiFi radio appears to be pretty good.  It has better range than my Galaxy S9.

Just found these threads:

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/move-setup-wants-my-wireless-network-rather-than-my-boost-6830703

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/sonos-move-existing-sonosnet-6829718

Sadly enough, SONOS does not provide this kind of information when you buy the unit, which I think is a big mistake and shall be required information - it shouldn’t be information you look up after you’ve tried to connect that b**** unit a million times.

I’m returning the unit and buy another product that suits my needs.

Was fun while it lasted SONOS :(

So disappointing.

Thanks for a quick answer melvimbe :)

I have no interest in sharing my secure wifi with SONOS in any way, so this is going to be a refund - regardless of technical reasons.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hmmmm. So if your Android phone or iPhone is on your wifi network you share your wifi credentials with Google of Apple? I’m not a technician but I do not think wifi works this way…. There’s no reason to believe your wifi credentials are leaving your device, be it from Sonos, Google or Apple....

I presume then, that you do not use WiFi at all? What do you fear Sonos plan to do with your SSID and password?

How does your Sonos app connect to your network?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Why not create a guest network and connect the Move to that?  

Why not create a guest network and connect the Move to that?  

Guest networks typically don’t allow connections to other devices in the home.  So if you setup the Move on a guest network, it would not be able to play with other Sonos speakers in the home, and you would not be able to control it with your smart phone.