Answered

Why doesn't selecting the Alarms ‘include grouped rooms’ work

• 16 July 2023
  • 3 replies

I found a post on this topic from 2 years ago, but it didn’t answer the question.

I have been setting my alarm to Grouped Rooms for years and now suddenly it won’t work. I have done a bunch of troubleshooting, including unplugging all my speakers, resetting the controller, reinstalling the app, and removing and replacing the Alarm several times. None of these have worked.

Has Sonos made another change which causes the grouped rooms option for the Alarms to not work. It’s bad enough when an update has been made and the Chime goes off instead of Music, but now the Grouped Rooms option seems to have new challenges.

I appreciate your comments and maybe this can get resolved.

icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 17 July 2023, 13:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hey @Jham111, welcome back!

As I’m writing this reply, I’ve got a grouped alarm working as expected playing one of my favorite playlists on Spotify. Let’s make sure we check a few things to see if we can make it work for you again.

• Make sure you have enabled the "Include Grouped Rooms" when activating the alarm.
  • Target the “Group Coordinator" for the alarm, which is the room that you started the group from via the Sonos App. A weak connection during the night might interrupt the group effect, which can be avoided by doing the next step.
  • A reboot on your router will always help refreshing the connection for all your Sonos equipment and other networking devices.
  • It has been noticed that when you are using a Radio station for alarm and it’s at 7:00AM or 8:00AM, there is a request happening to that Radio station at that exact time. Since it is a very common time to set an alarm, there's a good chance that the Radio station could be overwhelmed with requests, returning an error, which results on getting a chime instead of music. You can avoid something like this by moving the alarm a few minutes before or after the regular time.

If the above doesn’t help, I recommend submitting diagnostics within 10 minutes of reproducing the alarm failure and contacting Sonos Support for some live troubleshooting, they will be able to provide information and advice specific to your system and what it reports.

Thank you @Sotiris C. for your feedback. One thing is for certain, the bullet points you mentioned are all the same throughout the forum, so at least there is consistency. Good thing I have been using many of those tips. That said, it seems I will have to follow the last instruction of submitting a diagnostic and contacting support when the issue occurs again. 

Thank you again for your comments.

Badge

It would be nice if the alarm interface simply included a list of not just speakers, but also a lost of user created groups.

The “include grouped rooms” toggle is confusing. Some of my speakers belong to multiple groups, therefore when I utilize this toggle, I’m not really sure what the result is going to be.