Answered

Why can't I combine two rooms in the app?

• 21 January 2021
  • 16 replies

• How can i combine two rooms (not grouping)?
  • Why is it not possible to autoplay in different rooms?
  • Why does the sonos app create a new room Dining Room 2 when i wanted to add a new product to my Dining Room?
  • Why does the sonos macOS app have less options than the android app to adjust your current system (change room names, etc.) (makes absolutely no sense to me)
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 21 January 2021, 19:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

If you want help, please just ask for it politely, rather than rant and blame Sonos for your total lack of understanding..

If you want help, please just ask for it politely, rather than rant and blame Sonos for your total lack of understanding..

Enlighten my then please, if you can.

Based on what you stated before editting/cleaning up your post. you’re wanting to add a speaker to an existing room to create an stereo pair?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1066?language=en_US

• Why is it not possible to autoplay in different rooms?

According to support document, you can.  It does not clarify exactly how, but I would guess that you need to create a saved group that you can then select in autoplay.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4838?language=en_US

• Why does the sonos app create a new room Dining Room 2 when i wanted to add a new product to my Dining Room?

It’s just a step in the process.

• Why does the sonos macOS app have less options to adjust your current system (makes absolutely no sense to me)

Because Sonos realized a few years back that very few people managed configurations with macOS (or Windows), primarily using iOS and android.  Therefore, they diverted Dev resources to features that customers were using with higher frequency.

Based on what you stated before editting/cleaning up your post. you’re wanting to add a speaker to an existing room to create an stereo pair?

→ No, I have speaker x in room y and want to move that speaker in room v, but that doesn’t seem to be possible. I don’t want stereo speakers i simple want room room y and v combined, so that after combining i have only one room with multiple speakers inside.

According to support document, you can.  It does not clarify exactly how, but I would guess that you need to create a saved group that you can then select in autoplay.

→ You can’t select a group for autoplaying, but if your selected autoplay-room is currently grouped, it will autoplay from all the currently grouped rooms. This is never written nor explained anywhere…

It’s just a step in the process.

→ What?

• Why does the sonos macOS app have less options to adjust your current system (makes absolutely no sense to me)

Because Sonos realized a few years back that very few people managed configurations with macOS (or Windows), primarily using iOS and android.  Therefore, they diverted Dev resources to features that customers were using with higher frequency.

→ How many people does it take to build this app? One designer and one developer, maybe two? It’s really not rocket science and there are technologies where you can distribute the almost identical codebase to different platforms like andoid, ios, macos, windows etc. basically for free… having not enough resources is simply no excuse

I could offer more explanation but if that's your attitude to someone trying to help, I shall pass on that. And hope that others on here do the same.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Not me: I’m out. Good luck, @Christian S   

You can’t put two separate speakers, not a stereo pair or home theatre setup, in the same Sonos room.  You can group them.  If you group them frequently, then you can save the group.

I could offer more explanation but if that's your attitude to someone trying to help, I shall pass on that. And hope that others on here do the same.

I even updated my initial question, but yea, if you don’t want to come off your high horse, I can’t force you to be a good person.

Eh.  I’ve answered a few basics, but that’s about all I care to do.

I even updated my initial question, but yea, if you don’t want to come off your high horse, I can’t force you to be a good person.

You say that while showing absolutely no gratitude while I’m trying to answer your questions and convinced that you know more about how Sonos should work then the people that own and developed it   High horse indeed.

You can’t put two separate speakers, not a stereo pair or home theatre setup, in the same Sonos room.  You can group them.  If you group them frequently, then you can save the group.

What do you mean by “group them frequently”? I did already create a group with all the rooms i wanted to group, but i can’t even select that group when i want to autoplay from my sonos port… and i can’t select that group when i play music from the spotify app either (only rooms of the room that is currently “grouped”). It’s just useless…
The group is only shown when playing music through the android sonos app, nowhere else the group is even displayed to select as where the music should be played.

Please nobody try to explain this to him.

Please nobody try to explain this to him.

:zipper_mouth:

You say that while showing absolutely no gratitude while I’m trying to answer your questions and convinced that you know more about how Sonos should work then the people that own and developed it   High horse indeed.

I did show gratitude, and I still am grateful for your information. :)

And sorry for lashing out at you guys, this can happen with me when I’m super angry.

But why are you angry?  The system works brilliantly.  It may not conform to what you were expecting, but there are good reasons for most things.  It has been 15 years in the making and you have judged it on first contact, before you have given yourself a chance to understand or get used to it.

I don’t come on here for a fight, I come on to help, as do many others.  Give it a chance.