What is the 'best' way to connect Sonos to router for normal use?

• 20 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

I have been a happy user of Sonos for many years and think the system is unrivalled is many ways.

Recently however I have had drop outs with at least one of my Play:3’s in the kitchen.

In total my systems consists of;

Livingroom 2 x Play:5 with 1 x Sub (left connected via Ethernet) (right connect via Ethernet with WiFi Disabled) (Sub connected via WiFi)

Playroom 1 x Play:1 (connected via Ethernet WiFi Enabled)

Kitchen 2 x Play:3 (WiFi)

Master Bedroom 2 x Play:1 (left connected via Ethernet WiFi enabled) (right connected via Ethernet WiFi Disabled)

Study 2 x Play:1 (left Wifi) right (WiFi)

Childs Bedroom A 1 x Play:1 (WiFi)

Childs Bedroom B 1 x Play:1 (WiFi)

And 1 x Roam (mainly used for the garden) (WiFi)

My internet connection is a stable FTTP with avg. 860Mbps Down and 750Mbps Up, I do have a Netgear mesh system 1 x router and 2 x satellites.

Do I have too many units connected to the router (I am using a switch in some cases) and should I have disabled WiFi on the units described above or should I have left the WiFi enabled on all units?

Any advice as to the best way to connect my system would be gratefully received.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

You can up to 32 units in a single system, so that’s fine.  I would recommend leaving wi-fi switched on but I suggest that you look at my post here: 

The Netgear mesh is presumably a later addition. It could be operating on a 2.4GHz channel that clashes with SonosNet. By default Netgear tends to use a 40MHz wide channel. How are the Netgear and SonosNet channels configured? They should be at least 5 channels apart, with the Netgear using 20MHz width. Also, make sure there’s at least 50cm (ideally more) between Netgear nodes and Sonos units. 

If none of that helps, screenshot a network matrix from http://x.x.x.x:1400/support/review and post it. x.x.x.x is the IP of any player.

Badge

Thanks @UKMedia, great tips. I’m fairly satisfied with my router set up - the addresses of all devices within my home have been reserved, so no problem there. I purposely disabled the WiFi on the Sonos units connected by Ethernet as I read somewhere that having too many connections via WiFi could cause interference (not sure if that is the case or not) I’m no expert.

@ratty, my mesh system as been in place for 3 years, I installed it just as lockdown hit. The router and satellites are on channel 6 and Sonos on channel 1.

I have attached a copy of the matrix below. I quite often see red in the first column although today is it mainly amber and yellow.

Thanks for your feedback so far.

The connection strengths are good/satisfactory but ambient noise is highish on the amber nodes. If it’s spiking to red there that might be the problem. 

Is the Netgear mesh set to use a 20MHz width channel? From memory Netgear shows this as “up to X Mbps”, and you need to pick the lowest one that’s compatible with 802.11n and however many MIMO streams your Netgear supports at 2.4GHz.

Are you able to correlate the Kitchen dropouts with any other activity, such as Bluetooth or use of a microwave oven? 

BTW Master Bedroom (R) does not have its radio disabled, and Study (R) is wired.

Unless there’s a good reason to disable radios (e.g. close proximity to a major interferer such as a microwave) I’d suggest leaving all the wired units’ radios enabled.

Badge

Hi @ratty 

The drop outs are random.

I’ve just taken a snapshot of the matrix again and the first column is now red, without making any changes.

The router is set to 20/40MHz coexistence 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz share the same SSID, I don’t know if this has any bearing or not?

Matrix below.

Sometimes that pattern of reds can be explained by a particularly strong Bluetooth device. It would be useful if you could detect any correlation with whatever’s going on in the house. 

Do you have any Zigbee equipment? Philips Hue? Child monitors of any kind? Wireless cameras?

As for the Netgears if “20/40MHz coexistence” is enabled and not greyed out then it sounds like the devices are attempting to use 40MHz. There ought to be an explicit bandwidth setting somewhere. Which devices are they? Orbi something-or-other? 

Badge

@ratty, you gave me a few things to look into.

I do indeed have Philips Hue, consisting on 1 x bridge and multiple bulbs (approx x 20), a Yale Lock with a WiFi module, which also uses Bluetooth.

The 20/40 MHz on my router ‘apparently’ needs to be selected/ticked so that it doesn't force the use of 40MHz.

The Netgear router and satellite units is MK63 (MR60 + 2 x MS60). I have implicit beam forming set as well as MU-MIMO and AX Enabled.

I’m guessing with all this a fair bit of interference is being created. 

You’d best wait until dropouts happen again, then submit a system diagnostic, note the number, and contact Sonos Support for an interpretation. Be sure to take the diagnostic within 10 minutes or so, as some of the logs only retain a brief recent history.