Answered

Wedding setup help

• 14 September 2017
  • 3 replies

I have my wedding this weekend and am having trouble creating a solution for if/when the Wifi connection is not strong enough or complete goes out.

the wedding is outside and while I do have a Bridge, I don;t want to rely on that and need to figure out a solution to play completely without internet connection.

I've seen people mention setting everything up on your home network with an additional router and then once that has been done, to unplug that router form your home connection and then into one of the Play:1's and that the router creates a local connection for things to work on. that is not working for me.

Please help, thanks!
icon

Best answer by jec6613 19 September 2017, 02:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I don't know what your wedding venue is like, but, honestly, don't use Sonos for a wedding or event - you need to hardwire everything, and use something with more power. The Play:1 relies off of the reinforcement from being indoors to give effective sound, which you lose immediately when moving outdoors. Also, if there's WiFi there, you're stuffing a bunch of people into a small space with a whole pile of gadgets in their pockets that will be spamming the network - hence, wire it all.

Although the router moving trick can work, you'll still need a source on that network, so a computer with a file share or similar, or use the line-in on a Sonos device.

Are you able to rent/borrow something more traditional? Even a set of Bose 2.0 computer speakers, for instance, and then connect it to the headphone out of a cell phone, would be a more reliable option with about the same power.
I have my wedding this weekend and am having trouble creating a solution for if/when the Wifi connection is not strong enough or complete goes out.

Even if the WiFi was to be ok, an old fashioned wired set up would be the way to go. If anything can go wrong with WiFi it will, and for an occasion like this one, you want to keep such things to a minimum.
I agree totally with other responses. If necessary hire something that is up to the task. I think your post also confuses internet connection and wifi. You can do without an internet connection if you have a local music source. But to rely on a wireless system designed for domestic use, for such an important occasion - please just don't go there.