Tutorial

Using Sonos as PC Speakers

Using Sonos as PC Speakers
Badge +17

Image provided by PaulRBoon in this thread: Beam as computer speaker

At Sonos, we don’t make speakers specifically designed for your computer. However, if you are considering integrating your computer sound into your Sonos system, we want to help you get the most out of your products. With this being said, not all computers are built equal, so your mileage may vary, therefore it’s unfortunately not something Sonos can help or support you with setting up outside the general advice here.

In this article, we are going to be focusing on the best ways to get your computer audio coming through a Sonos Playbar, Playbase, Ray, Beam, Arc, Amp, Move, Roam, Era 100 & Era 300. To get this to work, there are two things to look at: how to connect the products and the settings needed.

A quick note on Play:5, Five, Connect:Amp, Amp, Port, Connect, Era 100 & Era 300

While it is possible to use these players with a PC by connecting to their line-in ports (Era models will need the USB-C adaptor), this isn’t a recommended solution if you’re planning on doing something that requires audio/video synchronization. There will be a minimum of a 75ms delay on the audio due to the signal processing performed on the line-in side. If synchronization isn’t an issue for you, you can simply connect the device to your PCs headphone or line out jack like you would a pair of regular headphones.

Roam & Era 100/300

Bluetooth links via these models will experience the same delay, as Bluetooth acts as a virtual line-in and also needs buffered for network play.

Connecting: 

Depending on the product you’re trying to connect, the method of connecting it to your computer will be slightly different. I’ll group the products with similar connections together to make things a bit easier to follow.

Playbar, Playbase & Ray

These products use a TOSLINK/Optical cable to receive audio, so if you’re looking to use these as PC speakers, your PC must be equipped with an Optical Out port. Most PCs don’t come with these built into the motherboard, though some higher end ones do. In most cases, you’ll likely need to use an internal sound card to provide that connection. Simply use an Optical cable to link your Playbar/Playbase/Ray to the Optical out port on your computer; just like you would to hook it up to a TV.

Playbar - use the Digital audio IN port
Playbase - use the Digital audio IN port
Ray - use the Digital audio IN port

Beam, Arc & Amp

If you’re using a Beam, Arc or Amp as computer speakers, there’s one extra step. You’ll need to make use of the Sonos Optical Audio Adapter that is included with your product (excluding Amp). Most computers send a regular HDMI audio stream over their HDMI ports, whereas these products require an HDMI-ARC audio signal. These are not the same. Unless you are using a TV equipped with HDMI-ARC as your monitor, connecting via HDMI-ARC won’t be possible. If that does apply to you, you can check this FAQ to find out how to set up your Beam, Arc or Amp.

How to use the Sonos Optical Audio Adapter

With Amp, you also have the option to use the RCA Line-In ports, though you should be aware that there will be a minimum of 75ms delay due to the signal processing performed on this input. Therefore, it’s generally a better experience to use the HDMI ARC port with the optical adapter.

Beam - use the HDMI port with the Optical adapter
Arc - use the HDMI port with the Optical adapter
Amp - use either HDMI or Analog audio in connections

Move, Move 2, Roam, Era 100 & Era 300 (Bluetooth)

With Moves, Roam and Eras, things are a lot more simple. Hooking up these products is as easy as switching them over to Bluetooth mode, opening the Bluetooth settings of your PC and selecting them from the list, just like you would to connect a mobile device. We’ll show you how to do this in the next section.

Move - push the Mode button to switch to Bluetooth
Roam - push and hold the power button for 2 seconds to switch to Bluetooth
Era 100 - hold the Bluetooth button until you hear a chime to pair​​​​

Era 300 - hold the Bluetooth button until you hear a chime to pair

Note that you only need pair a Sonos device to your PC once - from then on, you can use the computer to reinstate the link. 

Settings:

Connecting via optical cable or Sonos Optical Audio Adapter

Once you are connected with an optical cable, you may need to perform some steps to get everything running smoothly. It would be almost impossible for us to list specific settings for every sound card or motherboard that has an optical port built in, but we can provide some basic recommendations.

Once the optical cable is plugged in, click the speaker icon in the bottom-right corner of your Windows taskbar, then click the speaker name above the volume slider to see if an “Optical” or “Digital” sound output has shown up. If it has, just click to enable it. 

Look in this drop-down list for “Optical” or “Digital” sound output

If the speaker doesn’t show up there, right-click the speaker icon in the taskbar, click Open Sound Settings, Sound Control Panel and then the Playback tab.

Right-click anywhere in the list, then click “Show Disabled Devices.”

Make sure “Show Disabled Devices” is checked

Once you’ve done that, a device named “digital output” or “optical output” should show up. Right-click it and click “Enable” to switch it on. Once you’ve done that, right-click it again and click “Set as default device.” You should now have optical audio enabled and be able to listen to your PC audio through your Sonos player. You may need to open your Sonos app and select TV from the browse menu if TV Autoplay isn’t enabled.

If this doesn’t work for you, double-check the cable is properly seated in the optical port (it should have a gentle bump or click when fully inserted), and make sure the latest drivers are installed for your sound card or motherboard’s audio processor. If all this checks out, but you’re still not seeing the options show up, get in touch with the manufacturer of your device for further assistance.

Connecting through Bluetooth

Connecting to Moves, Roam or Eras through Bluetooth is relatively quick and easy. Take a look at the GIF below to see how it’s done in Windows 10. Note: not all desktop PCs have Bluetooth built in, so you may need to use an external adapter/dongle.

On Mac, the process is also fairly straightforward. You can use the same method for connecting to Sonos through Bluetooth, or you can establish an Airplay stream to any Airplay 2 capable speakers. Check out our FAQ on Streaming Airplay audio to Sonos.

And that’s it! Once you’re connected in either of these ways you’ll be able to enjoy your PC’s audio on your Sonos player. If you’re using the cabled method you’ll be able to group other wireless players in with your PC connected device and have that audio all around your home, just be aware that the players treat the incoming signal as TV audio, so a strong connection is required between players in order to enjoy uninterrupted sound on a large group.

We love to see what our users do with our products, so if you have your Sonos set up in an interesting way with your computer we’d love to see it! Feel free to post your images in this thread :smile:

109 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I Bluetooth my Roams to my laptop from time to time and there is a very slight lag but I don’t notice it too much when watching YouTube on the PC

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SarahN 

It can be difficult to perceive as our brains have evolved to cope with sight and sound being slightly out of sync due to distance and the difference in the speed of light versus that of sound - as with most things that might “weird us out”, the brain just edits it out (like the fact that our eyes wobble when we move them). Interestingly, this only works one way - we are not at all used to hearing before seeing, so if the picture were to be behind the audio, it would be much easier to notice.

Thanks for sharing your experience, though!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

No probs @Corry P 

To be honest, I find worse sync issues (only very occasionally) when watching certain things on my telly with my Beam HT set up. Mostly BluRay disks which I correct with the setting in the app.

I Bluetooth my Roams to my laptop from time to time and there is a very slight lag but I don’t notice it too much when watching YouTube on the PC

I tried this with my TV and the lag was too much for me.  It could very well be that the TV isn’t very efficient at transmitting bluetooth as your PC. 

Or, as @Corry P explain it, my brain is not as evolved as yours. 🙄 

Anyway, I’ll be interested in trying out the TV to Era 300s via bluetooth  when the speakers arrived to see if my Neanderthal brain can handle it.  I’ve realized I pretty much never watch TV in that room, and when I do, stereo is just fine.  If BT works, I’ll be getting rid of the Beam G1 and play:1s.  If it doesn’t work, I’ll keep the Beam.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

And the reason they can’t do what you describe using 5 GHz is because the low-latency 5 GHz connection cannot penetrate the walls/floors as well as the buffered 2.4 GHz signal, so once again, grouping is impossible.

So what it comes down to is you want dedicated computer speakers that cannot be grouped with the other Sonos speakers in your home.  There’s plenty of those around, go buy some.  

What I am describing is two different modes:

1. PC Mode: no delay, line-in mode where Left and Right speakers are connected over ad-hoc 5GHz (not grouped over walls/floors)
  2. Regular/Current Sonos Mode: 75ms+ delay, desktop pair can be grouped / ungrouped with the rest of Sonos ecosystem

I hope that makes sense

But you can send TV audio line-in to other rooms/zones (non-rear/sub) devices and not introduce latency, it stays in sync to whats on the TV.  If they handled all line-in like they do their HDMI input line in it wouldn’t be an issue, and it honestly has nothing to do with the wireless rears or sub (or wireless L/R pairing).  Granted Sonos may indeed be doing something with HDMI 2.0 eArc on capable models to ensure lipsync, as eArc supports a lipsync feature but the Ray and Beam 1 (or Sonos Amp) don’t support it.  I use the HDMI optical adapter with the HDMI input on the Amp for a second line-in for a CD player (turntable is on the RCA line-in) and it doesn’t have the same delay as the turntable line in, and can be grouped to other areas just as well...

But you can send TV audio line-in to other rooms/zones (non-rear/sub) devices and not introduce latency, it stays in sync to whats on the TV.  If they handled all line-in like they do their HDMI input line in it wouldn’t be an issue, and it honestly has nothing to do with the wireless rears or sub (or wireless L/R pairing).  Granted Sonos may indeed be doing something with HDMI 2.0 eArc on capable models to ensure lipsync, as eArc supports a lipsync feature but the Ray and Beam 1 (or Sonos Amp) don’t support it.  I use the HDMI optical adapter with the HDMI input on the Amp for a second line-in for a CD player (turntable is on the RCA line-in) and it doesn’t have the same delay as the turntable line in, and can be grouped to other areas just as well...

You either didn't read what was posted, or you didn't understand it.  Either way, I'm not going to argue with you.  Go ahead and keep thinking there is somehow Sonos is able to overcome the laws of physics but doesn't do it because it has some hatred of people who want to use their products are computer speakers.  

PS - In your example above, the CD player output is delayed ~70 ms when sent to other rooms.  The line in is delayed 70 ms to all rooms.  So there is a difference.  Why you don't sense it is another question, but it's there.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I can guarantee there is not a 70ms (I think you mean 75ms) delay in grouped tv audio sent to other zones…

I just tested this, watching a lip sync vid on youtube via ATV4K…  played out Arc (that is paired with L/R rears and a sub for a fulll 5.1 setup) and then grouped via the Sonos app to a Move I sat next to the TV to test this.  They were in sync… and definitely not 70ms delayed from the video… which is what I would expect if Sonos adds 75ms to it because its grouped with another zone.  I could group and ungroup and it stayed in sync.

No argument that Sonos adds 75ms (minimum) to RCA line-in, but they do not do so to their hdmi line-in source.  Maybe because its all digital and can be fed wirelessly right away without building a buffer i don’t know…

I can guarantee there is not a 70ms (I think you mean 75ms) delay in grouped tv audio sent to other zones…

I just tested this, watching a lip sync vid on youtube via ATV4K…  played out Arc (that is paired with L/R rears and a sub for a fulll 5.1 setup) and then grouped via the Sonos app to a Move I sat next to the TV to test this.  

Is this actual TV audio, where the source is coming in through the Arc HDMI port (HDMI-ARC) are were you getting audio from the ATV4K via airplay?  Airplay would limit you to stereo only and would not have any latency, as you are claiming to see.  An HDMI connection would have show a latency in group rooms.

They were in sync… and definitely not 70ms delayed from the video… which is what I would expect if Sonos adds 75ms to it because its grouped with another zone.  I could group and ungroup and it stayed in sync.

No argument that Sonos adds 75ms (minimum) to RCA line-in, but they do not do so to their hdmi line-in source.  Maybe because its all digital and can be fed wirelessly right away without building a buffer i don’t know…

Sorry, but this is just wrong.  I’m not trying to claim you aren’t hearing what your hearing, but Sonos official statements, my personal experience, and others,  contradict yours.  If you aren’t using airplay, then perhaps you’re brain isn’t recognizing a difference and blending it together.  That’s certainly been the case for other people who don’t even notice a lag with line audio.  Others absolutely do.

Regardless, any body attempting to group TV audio across multiple rooms should know that the rooms will not play in perfect sync.  Whether that bothers them personally or if they even notice it is a different matter, but a significant, perhaps majority, of people do notice and find in doesn’t work for their needs. 

I just tested this, watching a lip sync vid on youtube via ATV4K…  played out Arc (that is paired with L/R rears and a sub for a fulll 5.1 setup) and then grouped via the Sonos app to a Move I sat next to the TV to test this.  They were in sync… and definitely not 70ms delayed from the video… which is what I would expect if Sonos adds 75ms to it because its grouped with another zone.  I could group and ungroup and it stayed in sync.

There is a delay to any room grouped with a TV source, that room will have a discernable lag behind the home theater room.  This is indisputable, and confirmed by dozens of threads here.  The reason for this has been discussed many times in this thread, and is the very reason Sonos cannot make a lag free analog line in (and has nothing to do with any ADC/DAC going on).  Read the thread before speaking definitively on this subject again.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi everybody,

For my part,  I have been using for a while 2 Era 100 in stereo pair, connected to my computer with a single adapter.

The latency of 75ms does not bother me, I only listen to music. I even tried with a video and the lag is barely perceptible.

On the other hand, as the adapter is only connected to one of the two Era 100s, is the sound reproduced is realy in stereo on the pair? (I can't quite hear the difference).

because I can't find the information if the jack input of the adapter is stereo?

Thank you for your answers

Small update...
I posted too fast (and thought too slowly...) 😅
I just realized I could try with a stereo test on Youtube. And finally the sound is well sent in stereo in pair of Era 100 👍

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I’m still a little confused by this thread.

If I connect my roam via bluetooth to my PC, I observe a delay, is this the 75ms ‘sonos’ delay?

Reason I ask is when I connect a UE Megaboom via bluetooth that is around 7-8 years old, and I don’t observe a lag.

I fully understand the 75ms line in delay, but does this 75ms also apply to a direct bluetooth connection to Roam, ie the bluetooth connection is treated in same way as a line in connection?

I’m still a little confused by this thread.

If I connect my roam via bluetooth to my PC, I observe a delay, is this the 75ms ‘sonos’ delay?

Reason I ask is when I connect a UE Megaboom via bluetooth that is around 7-8 years old, and I don’t observe a lag.

I fully understand the 75ms line in delay, but does this 75ms also apply to a direct bluetooth connection to Roam, ie the bluetooth connection is treated in same way as a line in connection?

Just a guess, but since the Roam can be used as a Bluetooth input when grouped with other Sonos speakers, then the same buffer is needed for the Bluetooth input as for the Line-In input.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just a guess, but since the Roam can be used as a Bluetooth input when grouped with other Sonos speakers, then the same buffer is needed for the Bluetooth input as for the Line-In input.  

Yes, I agree. I also blocked the Roam from my WiFi, restarted the Roam to simulate a ‘standalone’ bluetooth speaker, I still see the ~75ms, even when its unable to group the input with any other Sonos device.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I​​​​​​

A quick note on Play:5, Five, Connect:Amp, Port, Connect, Era 100 & Era 300

While it is possible to use these players with a PC by connecting to their line-in ports (Era models will need the USB-C adaptor), this isn’t a recommended solution if you’re planning on doing something that requires audio/video synchronization. There will be a minimum of a 75ms delay on the audio due to the signal processing performed on the line-in side. If synchronization isn’t an issue for you, you can simply connect the device to your PCs headphone or line out jack like you would a pair of regular headphones.

Maybe the above should be updated to include Bluetooth & Roam, as it appears bluetooth is treated same as line-in based on my tests.

Userlevel 2

I want to do the following connection: Mac mini --- Sonos AMP --- passive bookshelf Speakers. Will I get the dreaded delay? Thanks

P.S. The article by James L. says the delay is with the Connect:Amp. Also, lots of great content above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I want to do the following connection: Mac mini --- Sonos AMP --- passive bookshelf Speakers. Will I get the dreaded delay? Thanks

Depends how they are connected.

You can’t connect the Mac Mini directly to the AMP via HDMI, you need to send the Mac Mini to a TV then use the HDMI-ARC output of your TV to the AMP.  No delay.

If your Mac Mini has optical output you can also use that with the optical adapter. No delay.

You can use the analog input of the AMP, but then you’ll get the delay.

If you Airplay from the Mac Mini I think you’ll get the delay, but I’m honestly not sure about that.

Userlevel 2

Depends how they are connected.

You can’t connect the Mac Mini directly to the AMP via HDMI, you need to send the Mac Mini to a TV then use the HDMI-ARC output of your TV to the AMP.  No delay.

If your Mac Mini has optical output you can also use that with the optical adapter. No delay.

You can use the analog input of the AMP, but then you’ll get the delay.

If you Airplay from the Mac Mini I think you’ll get the delay, but I’m honestly not sure about that.

Thanks controlav. Airplay should have a small but noticeable delay. Shame about the complicated HDMI and analog delay as my Mac mini (M1) does not have the optical out. Looks like I will have to get something that is not Sonos which works well for this.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Str8rydder & @craigski 

I have updated the original post so Amp is included in the list of devices that will induce a delay - thanks for pointing it out!

Hello There, I got the Ray, i’m trying to connect it to my computer, but my computer does not have the optical port, it only has a audio type c. I bought an adapter USB AUDIO CONVERTER OPTICAL AND 3.5MM, I plug it into my type c and a usb port but there is no audio coming out, my computer does detect that there is a speaker plug it and even has the green audio lv going up, Any tips? I was going to return this but I really want to make it work. Much would be appreciated thank you.

I bought this one for $20 on Amazon and it works great on my MacBook

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QFYNB7Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Make sure you get the “output” version and not the “input” as those are uni-directional.

Thanks for sharing this!  Sounds like there are some draw backs to this (i.e., cannot control volume).  Are there other alternatives? I must admit, audio has always been very confusing for me to fully grasp.  But I’m essentially in a similar situation as Johnson, bought the Ray as soundbar for my 49 inch ultra wide monitor setup.  But running into trouble because my Windows PC does not have optical out.  It only has 3.5MM jack and USB ports (1 C, and a ton of A’s).  Do I need to get a AUX to Optical converter? (like one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W5GNZX5)  If so, does anyone have recommendations (ideally ultra small footprint and from a credible brand, Amazon has a ton of cheapo Chinese ones, who knows what type of security it has).  Or do I need to get a dedicated sound card with optical out…?

Really don’t want to have to return this, the PC soundbar market is kinda meh for the most part.

Hi @skho01 .  The adapter looks like the right sort of thing.  It appears that you would need a 3.5mm jack to RCA (red/white) cable to connect the TV to the adapter. then a standard optical cable from adapter to Ray.  

I cannot see you getting anything better than stereo out of this, which may be adequate for your purposes. If not, then a sound card with optical out would give you multichannel output.

I think you may have to settle for an unrecognisable Chinese brand.

@John B thanks for the quick response!  I guess I’m not following the 3.5mm → RCA → Adaptor → Standard optical cable → Ray.

No way to skip the RCA bit? feel like I need another adaptor for 3.5mm to RCA.

What other draw backs are there with the adaptor?

• Stereo only
  • volume control

I guess I’m just trying to understand which features I’m foregoing using an adaptor vs. sound card.  Any expert opinion here would be much appreciated.

I have this old sound card with a S/PDIF optical adaptor, do you think it would still be Stereo only?

@John B thanks for the quick response!  I guess I’m not following the 3.5mm → RCA → Adaptor → Standard optical cable → Ray.

No way to skip the RCA bit? feel like I need another adaptor for 3.5mm to RCA.

The adapter you linked  has an RCA input and your computer has a 3.5mm jack output.  So you need a cable with a 3.5mm jack at one end and an RCA connector at the other.  There is no adaptation or conversion involved here.  How else are you going to connect the two devices?

What other draw backs are there with the adaptor?

• Stereo only
  • volume control

I guess I’m just trying to understand which features I’m foregoing using an adaptor vs. sound card.  Any expert opinion here would be much appreciated.

You aren’t foregoing anything by using the adapter.  You are losing multichannel sound because you are using an output connection that is only capable of handling stereo.

Ah makes sense.  I decided to get an optical soundcard, the ASUS Sonar SE.  Let’s hope this works.

I tried plugging in my old ASUS Sonar DX, it has a SPDIF out.  I used a 1 x S/PDIF Header and it doesn’t work :(

Hello!

In a setup with Bean Gen 2 + Sub + Amp with 2 in-ceiling connected with the optical cable to a Mac Studio, would we be able to get 5.1? Or would this just be stereo?

I’d like to be able to play games or watch movies with surrounds from the Mac Studio but I’m not sure if the optical adapter will be detected by MacOS as a multi-channel output or just 2 channel stereo.

Thanks!