Using Playbar with Chromecast audio optical

• 1 June 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
I have a playbar with a toslink splitter, connected to TV on on side and a Chromecast audio dongle with toslink output. This works as a Chromecast workaround however the playbar assumes the Chromecast optical signal is a TV signal. Therefore dialogue enhancement etc is available but the rear speakers in my 5.1 setup only play ambient sound from the audio track. Anyone else tried this or have a way to make it work? I wish Sonos would add an option in the surrounds settings for full range rears from TV like they offer for music That would solve my problem. When linked to more rooms it sounds great on my other stereo pairs, just not in the 5.1 room.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Since your using the optical input on the Playbar - you are correct it will just play ambient (it will not switch to Full mode). I think this is a limitation on how the digital input is implemented (since this has always been a limitation even when they first added full mode).

Your only choice to get full to rears would be plugging it in analog via a Sonos unit with analog in.
Userlevel 1
I really doubt it is a hardware limitation. More likely there is no demand for the feature since most probably do t use it that way. It would give the product more functionality. I really don't want to be converting the signal which was why I'm using chromecast audio via toslink and not 3.5mm. Bummer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is a feature in demand and has been discussed frequently. I believe it has to do with the digital input feeding direct into the 5.1 architecture.

I assume then you don't have a sonos unit with analog input.