Answered

Using a BOOST and CONNECT

• 12 November 2016
  • 7 replies

My SONOS set up includes 6 rooms (3 with stereo pairs) which also includes a CONNECT that is plugged directly into my router.
I then run a line in to my TV to be able to listen to it on my SONOS system. (predominantly in the living room)

A certain times the audio suffers the stuttering and drop outs when watching the TV (everything works perfectly when streaming music to any room)
I have purchase a BOOST to sort this issue out once and for all, but I was wondering if anyone can let me if i need to plug both the BOOST & CONNECT into my router?

Or does the BOOST go into the router and the CONNECT plugs into the BOOST....

thanks
icon

Best answer by ratty 12 November 2016, 15:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Uncompressed Line-In is the source which stresses wireless the most. Before your BOOST purchase did you consult Sonos Support after submitting a diagnostic? They could have advised where the weaknesses in the SonosNet mesh lay.

By the way, when grouping rooms together you would have seen more reliable results by starting with the CONNECT and adding rooms to it. This would have minimised the amount of traffic load on SonosNet.

To your specific query: only one component needs to be wired. Try with just the BOOST cabled to the router. Be sure to add the BOOST before unwiring the CONNECT.

Make sure you have at least 0.5m / 2' between the router and BOOST. Also check your SonosNet channel doesn't overlap with the router WiFi. Fix the router on 1, 6 or 11 -- at least 5 channels away from SonosNet -- and be sure you don't use a 40MHz width channel for 2.4GHz WiFi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Great answer as usual from ratty.

Submit a diagnostic under settings..advanced and post the number generated here for a Sonos rep. to see where the interference is.

Have you checked the wireless channels as Ratty talks about. What channel is your router on and what channel is your sonosnet on?

Have you checked into one of the free wifi analyser apps online to see what channels your neighbors are using so you can select the best of 1, 6, and 11 2 channels to put your home wifi and sonos on.
Thanks for your replies, appreciate it.

I have spoken to SONOS Tech folks several times about the issue and they have explained the channel switching issue each time.
As my router is set to chose the channel automatically sometimes it inadvertently chooses the channel that SONOS is using also.
Ideally, I would like to try and find a way to not have to be constantly jumping on the router / SONOS preferences to change channels.

In reference to your point about the CONNECT, i've had that setup for years now and it was indeed the first part of my system and the speakers have been added over time. The BOOST is a recent purchase to try and alleviate the drop outs.

I haven't been on here for a while, and I can't find the old tech ticket section (has it been removed?), so as advised here is the Diagnostic report code, if someone from SONOS could take a look that would be good.

Your confirmation number is: 6742536.
I've not yet met a router which couldn't be fixed on a specific channel. Out of the box they nearly all default to auto-selection, and some go so far as to greedily default to a 40MHz 'wide' channel at 2.4GHz.

My point about the grouping order has nothing to do with the order in which the units were purchased/installed. The starting room/zone -- the one whose GROUP button you click/tap -- is the 'coordinator'. It is responsible for fetching the stream and sending it to the other group members. The bandwidth demand on SonosNet is thus reduced if your wired player with the Line-In (assuming it's part of the group) is chosen as coordinator.
I am able to fix the channel, but i live in London and the channels are very congested.
When the stuttering starts I will switch things around ( i.e change the router, after looking on iStumble for the least congested channel in the vicinity, then the SONOS has to change as well) I've checked and it isn't on the 40Mhz

Point noted on the grouping, I shall bear that in mind. thanks for the help.

How do i get SONOS to open a case these days?
Badge
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/ask
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Ratty, Interesting point about grouping, which had never crossed my mind before.

I've always grouped from the room I was in- so if I was primarily listening in the office I would group to the office speakers.

But, of course, the Connect is wired directly to the router- so entirely see the point of your suggestion.

I will be giving this a go, for sure.