Using a Bluetooth Transmitter and a Connect to play through BT speakers?

• 3 June 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge
I've searched a bit through the forums on this topic but need something clarified.

I have existing wired outdoor speakers connected to a Connect to give me Sonos control over them. Part of my yard isn't feasible for wiring so I'd like to add two (battery powered) Bluetooth speakers to this set up.

Questions:

[1] I assume a Bluetooth transmitter gets connected to the Audio OUT RCA jacks on the Connect?

[2] The existing Sonos Connect connects to the wired speaker amp via the RCA Out jacks; Can I piggyback the BT transmitter to this same connect buy using y-splitters for the L and R RCA out jacks or do I need an additional Connect module?

[3] Or can I just use the single Coax Out for the BT transmitter?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

You could drive a BT transmitter from any output. Split the RCA or, if the transmitter has a digital in, use the Coax.

However, BT has an inherent delay which will throw those speakers out of sync with the existing wired speakers. Even aptX low latency will still incur sufficient delay to create a potentially unpleasant echo. BT speakers using a conventional SBC codec, with its much larger delay, will sound absolutely dreadful.

Basically, you'll have to do one or the other: all wired or all BT.
Badge
Just wanted to to follow up on this thread. So I bought a BT transmitter and two BT JBL speakers. While the range of the BT 5.0 transmitter was impressive, as was pointed out above, the slight delay between the BT speakers and the wired ones was unacceptable. It was close to being okay and just adding an echo effect. Unfortunately, it was just too much... So back to the drawing board.

Oh, Sonos, why don't you have some outdoor speakers? I will probably buy a pair of 1's and move them in and out as necessary. Curious about something, though. I live in very hot, but very dry (in terms of rain and humidity) climate. How would the Sonos speakers fare if left outside?
Just a word of warning, you may want to make sure you have a good wifi signal where you want to place the play:1s. I'd also think about getting Sonos Ones instead of Play:1s. Yes they cost more, but give you the option of voice control and have much more updated hardware. There could come a time where a feature you want is available for Sonos One, but not on the Play:1s.

As far as leaving the Sonos speakers outside, I just wouldn't try it personally. You're pretty much leaving a computer outside.

Personally, and I don't know what your backyard layout is, but I'd rethink adding additional wired speakers back there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Outside in the heat and cold seems like a bad idea to me, moving them around would be more work but safer.

I had to choose Play 1 or One a while back and while the additional options the One offers were tempting we decided to keep our home Alexia (and the like) free until they get a lot more secure. I'm happy with my Play 1s and if I get bit at some future date I'll worry about it then.
Hi,

can a BT transmitter be used via the Subwoofer Out port on my Connect Amp please?
can a BT transmitter be used via the Subwoofer Out port on my Connect Amp please?
In theory, but (a) obviously you'd only be passing the bass frequencies and (b) depending on the Bluetooth codec the signal could be delayed by a noticeable amount compared to the audio coming from the main speakers. The bass could be perceived as "slow".