Answered

Two Sonos Systems on One Network

• 16 April 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
I've been out of the picture for a bit and sudenly find myself struggling to achieve something that I previously had no difficulty with: 2 sonos setups on one network, with no funny stuff like separate subnets. This used to be really easy and I used it to get past the 65k track limit; now, I want to keep my 5 year old out of the main system!

But now, whenever I turn system 1 back on again, the android controller on which I set up system 2 loses contact with system2 (and system 1 for that matter). Has something changed? Admittedly, previously I was using a CR100 (but I promise this isn't the focus of this question; for me at least, that ship has, with more than a couple of sniffles, sailed).
icon

Best answer by John B 17 April 2018, 00:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge +1
Actually: this is starting to look suspiciously like a network issue - just in case anyone is typing away furiously I won't delete this for now, but I currently have sys 2 playing away, while sys 1 updates its library (moral: CHANGE ONE THING AT A TIME!).
To the best of my knowledge this is still possible, and if the controller is losing touch with both systems then it may just be a controller / network issue. If you reset the controller, then try to connect to existing system, the controller should find both systems and therefore ask for a speaker button press to identify which one it should connect to. Thereafter it should connect to that system by default.
Badge +1
Thanks John: yes I think that's what has changed. Previously, my main system was always on, and the secondary one had the CR100, which didn't offer any choices if that system was down. I think I have had too many things going on in the one evening here between plugging and unplugging things, updating the software, tweaking the shares, and deciding casually to separate out a different player than before! And I do now have two working systems again - thanks for confirming.
Multiple systems/households can happily co-exist on the same subnet. Just make sure that controllers are dedicated to specific households. 'Forget' any household that is not required. A controller registered to multiple households on the same subnet could find any of them when it first starts. It's pot luck, as it latches onto the first device to respond to the SSDP discovery broadcast.

With reference to the CR100, I''ll throw in a comment about the iPort xPRESS as there are suggestions to use the keypad as a small hard-button controller instead. Things can get a little tricky during xPRESS configuration where there are multiple households. Again, the keypad can find either household during the player discovery scan, so may require multiple scan attempts. As for configuring a 'scene' I've found that the iPort app actually crashes if there are multiple households visible. In short, the safest option is to temporarily power down the other household(s) while configuring the xPRESS. Once configured, the keypad is absolutely fine if there are multiple households alive.