Question

Two Boost or not Two Boost, that is the question...

• 2 March 2018
  • 4 replies

Apologies for the question. I do have a real question though, and it’s two boost related.

I live in an old house with thick walls. I have a garden office 20m from the house. Everything is wired up with CAT6, including the garden office.

Initial setup was a Connect in the conservatory wired to the router, two play 1’s in the kitchen (stereo pair), a play 3 in the living room and another Connect upstairs. This sort of worked but the kitchen 1’s and the upstairs connect would regularly lose connection. To fix this, I bought a Boost, and this is now connected to the Router instead of the Connect. This has fixed the connection problem in the house, but I cannot get a reliable connection to the Connect in the garden office.

Any thoughts on how I could improve things? I did wonder if I could move the Boost from the house to the Garden, and connect it to the wired network from their but I fear I will then be back to the same problem in the house. Does anyone know if I can have two Boosts connected by wire, or one Connect and one Boost, or anything else?

I have Wi-fi everywhere using EAP’s but this doesn’t seem to play well with my Sono’s.

Everything is up to date (8.4). I’ve invested too much in the various components to not persevere, but if I can’t make it work it will all be in vain and they’ll have to go. Tough choices!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I suggest that you wire SONOS units whenever practical. Any combination of wired and wireless is supported -- up to a total of 32 units. BOOST is useful in situations where it is impractical to wire any of the players or a unit is out of range. In the out of range situation, place a BOOST about mid way between the covered area and the difficult location. This BOOST can be wired or wireless. After at least one SONOS unit is wired, SONOS will switch to SonosNet and ignore your WiFi.
I have the playbar and three gen 1 play fives, a connect and a bridge. Periodically a play 5 will stop working because I have a generic booster. Do I really need a boost or just reset everything?
Userlevel 7
I have the playbar and three gen 1 play fives, a connect and a bridge. Periodically a play 5 will stop working because I have a generic booster. Do I really need a boost or just reset everything?

Please explain...

A bridge is the forerunner of the dedicated Boost component. However what are you referring to as a "Generic" booster? If there is such an animal I suggest you buy the Sonos branded Boost or use one of your speakers. Please post back.

Cheers!
Do I really need a boost or just reset everything?

A factory reset rarely resolves fundamental issues. Further, the factory reset erases some diagnostic information that could have been used to diagnose the situation.

In terms of system malfunctions, BRIDGE power supply failure is very common. BRIDGE or BOOST should be used when it is not practical to wire one or more units to your network. As a test I suggest that you remove power from BRIDGE and wire another unit to your network.