Answered

Time Capsule Storage

• 16 July 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I am interested in purchasing a Time Capsule to backup a customer's iTunes library. If I am not mistaken the Time Machine backup on the time Capsule is encrypted and compressed. Can Sonos read the music on the Time Capsule without the use of any laptop or iMac running?
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 17 July 2018, 00:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am interested in purchasing a Time Capsule to backup a customer's iTunes library. If I am not mistaken the Time Machine backup on the time Capsule is encrypted and compressed. Can Sonos read the music on the Time Capsule without the use of any laptop or iMac running?

Hi FrankB4now,

You can use a Time Capsule as a NAS drive to store your music so that Sonos can play it without your computer being online. You may have to copy the music over into a non-compressed area of the Time Capsule though. This page explains how to get everything up and running.
As Jeff S said, the time capsule drive could double as a NAS which is accessible to Sonos. You'd set up one drive for two separate partitions with separate purposes.

The actual time machine backups on the drive would not be accessible from Sonos (or any other common application). The backups are in a "sparse bundle" format not made to be accessed by anything other than time machine functions. This incompatibility exists regardless of whether the time capsule drive is encrypted.