Answered

System just started skipping tracks. Does this matrix look ok?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello good people.  I’ve been lucky to have my Sonos system up and running now for about 2 to 3 years with pretty much no problems.  Over the past week, my system has started dropping audio or randomly skipping tracks.

I made two recent changes.  I tweaked the wifi channels in my house.  Also, I introduced three new speakers into the set-up.  

I have a lot of speakers so posting the network matrix is a bit tough.  I’m posting two pages of it here.  I can scroll to the right and see some additional info mostly all in gray with two green boxes.

I’ve gotten rusty on the meanings.  A bunch of my devices are connected by ethernet.  Some are not.  I thought the ones connected by ethernet would show differently on the matrix but that’s not always the case on this one.  Anything here any cause for concern?

Add’l info:  I live in a rural area in the middle of a bunch of acres with no one around me.  So no wifi conflicts at least from neighbors.  Thank you.

icon

Best answer by TheRamblinMan 12 December 2022, 02:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Hi. I imagine the Ethernet connected speakers are the ones Identified as "secondary  nodes'? Do they connect via a switch?

Do all your speakers have WM=0? (Apart from any Moves or Roams)

What channel is SonosNet set to?

Which speakers are dropping?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi. I imagine the Ethernet connected speakers are the ones Identified as "secondary  nodes'? Do they connect via a switch?

Do all your speakers have WM=0? (Apart from any Moves or Roams)

What channel is SonosNet set to?

Which speakers are dropping?

Thanks for the response.   Response below.  

I imagine the Ethernet connected speakers are the ones Identified as "secondary  nodes'?   <Looking over these, I believe this is accurate.>

Do they connect via a switch?  <Yes.>

Do all your speakers have WM=0? (Apart from any Moves or Roams).  <Yes.  You are correct that the Move is the only one that has a 1.>

What channel is SonosNet set to?   <It was set on Channel 11 at the time all this started and I believe had been for all these years.  Yesterday as an experiment I switched to Channel 6.  I’m still testing whether this has worked.>

Which speakers are dropping?    <I haven’t tested all of them but relying more on where we play music the most lately and this has been happening.  That would be Kitchen, Master Bath, and Christmas Tree.>

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @TheRamblinMan 

Thanks for your post!

To be honest, I’m not very good at pulling answers from that screen as there are much better places to look - when you work for Sonos, that is. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports in full.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Did your drops out and skips start after the recent V14.20 update? I am experiencing the same issue and have noticed some of the SONOS wireless nodes were attempting to communicate to my SYNOLOGY DS1821+ NAS via SMB1 which is blocked. Prior to the V14.20 update all SONOS equipment communicated to my SYNOLOGY NAS vis SMB3.

During my troubleshooting a couple of wireless SONOS ONE’s were disappearing from the network. These were also the ones that were attempting to the NAS with via a SMB1 connection.

I am still having drop out issue and will be contacting SONOS on Monday.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Did your drops out and skips start after the recent V14.20 update? I am experiencing the same issue and have noticed some of the SONOS wireless nodes were attempting to communicate to my SYNOLOGY DS1821+ NAS via SMB1 which is blocked. Prior to the V14.20 update all SONOS equipment communicated to my SYNOLOGY NAS vis SMB3.

During my troubleshooting a couple of wireless SONOS ONE’s were disappearing from the network. These were also the ones that were attempting to the NAS with via a SMB1 connection.

I am still having drop out issue and will be contacting SONOS on Monday.

I “think” so in terms of the timing but I’m not sure about cause and effect.  In any event, I ended up unplugging almost all (admittedly, I didn’t unplug about 3 of them) of the speakers and re-booting them. I’ve been playing hours of music this weekend with on problem, so for now I’m going to just roll with it.  

Have you reserved IP addresses for all of the SONOS units? 

Unfortunately, the newer SONOS units do not populate this Network Matrix.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Have you reserved IP addresses for all of the SONOS units? 

Unfortunately, the newer SONOS units do not populate this Network Matrix.

Yes.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I think I may have uncovered the issue with my skipping and dropping tracks. The system had recently updated to V14.20 and two of my wireless SONOS One’s were not showing up and the third was randomly appearing and disappearing. I power cycled all SONOS ONE’s and they all appeared in the apps on my Windows computer and iPhone.

The skipping and dropping issues were still occurring. I then attempted to login to my main TP-LINK managed switch which failed and a ping to the assigned IP address failed. During this time Iwas also having some issues with my Zappiti media player related to the video and audio stuttering and pausing.

I was able to login to ty other two TP-LINK switches that are connected to the TP-LINK main switch. I rebooted the main TP-LINK managed switch and all my issues have been resolved. I confirmed that none of the setting on the switch had been changed and reset all of the diagnostic counters.

I am not sure why the main switch locked up and it only impacted the SONOS and Zappiti products.

If the switch locked up, it may have been intermittently locked on a port by port basis. Anything connected to a problem port would have issues.

For reference, which model switch are you using? Is it’s firmware up to date?

Ha! We always seem to ask about firmware updates -- as if this is the magic bullet. Sometimes it is the “new improved” firmware that creates an issue. Although I update my SONOS system immediately because of my participation here, I usually hold off on updates and let others be the pioneers.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The primary switch is a TP-LINK T2600G-52TS with the latest firmware. This is the switch that locked up. I have two satellite switches (TP-LINK T2500G-10TS and TL-SG3210) that are connected to the primary switch. The switch has been operational for over 850 days without a power cycle the last time I checked before the lockup.

I understand the firmware question, I have been doing industrial automation for 42+ years and have dealt with various industrial protocols on RS232, RS422, RS485, Modbus Plus, SY/MAX, SY/ENET, ProFinet, Modbus TCP/IP and Ethernet/IP. For Ethernet, I have been through Thick Wire, Coax, Twisted Pair, Wireless and Mesh Networking.

In fact, it was SONOS that first introduced me to STP / RSTP issues.

Sometimes you just have to go with the “Bleeding Edge” to stay ahead of your clients' implementations and use it as a learning experience…….