STP Settings - Blocking

• 28 December 2020
  • 10 replies

Badge +2

I’m having trouble with a new Sonos One (Gen2) that regular as clockwork goes offline about 5.30am in the morning and needs a power cycle to get back online.

I’ve logged onto my sonos network via http://<sonos IP>:1400/status/ and checked the STP status page. (Didn’t realise you could do this but found out how on Google). This is showing some of the devices as ‘blocking’ - I am assuming this is normal, to avoid a loop (according to Wikipedia), and hence not responsible for the problems I am having?

I have suggested to two diffeent people at Sonos today that I think the issue is IP address related but they are declining to comment on that.  

Any observations would be appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I’ve logged onto my sonos network via http://<sonos IP>:1400/status/ and checked the STP status page. (Didn’t realise you could do this but found out how on Google). This is showing some of the devices as ‘blocking’ - I am assuming this is normal, to avoid a loop (according to Wikipedia), and hence not responsible for the problems I am having?

This is completely normal, and wouldn’t account for your problems. Virtual ports do indeed need to be blocked in order to break loops.

I have suggested to two diffeent people at Sonos today that I think the issue is IP address related but they are declining to comment on that.  

It seems strange that it goes offline the same hour each day, unless there’s another device with a duplicate IP which springs to life at that time. Are your IPs reserved in the DHCP server? Do you have static IPs configured directly into any devices?

Badge +2

Thanks for your help, ratty.  I haven’t assigned any static IPs (I think that means reserved - forgive me I’m on a steep learning curve as I google my way through this!) to any of my sonos devices, nor any other device.  I have 13 other Sonos speakers that are working good as gold.  It is just this new one.  Everything is on sonosnet.  The new speaker works fine then just goes offline at night.  My hunch it is to do with the router (sky q) - the leases expire overnight, reissue the IP addresses and then it goes off.  But why just this speaker?

I can’t see another device with the same IP address.

I would be happy to assign static IP addresses, but wasn’t sure what protocols should be observed in selecting which numbers to use, and if I would do this for just the problem speaker or all of them.

Thanks!

A bit of terminology.

It’s conventional for the term ‘static’ to be used for IPs which are actually configured directly into the device itself. A router’s LAN IP is ‘static’. Sonos doesn’t support ‘static’ IP addresses.

Where a fixed MAC-to-IP mapping is set up in the DHCP server (typically in the router) this is often referred to as a ‘reserved’ IP. The device requests an IP in the normal way, knowing nothing about the reservation, but because the IP is reserved it doesn’t accidentally get re-issued to a different device.

I would try reserving the IP for your One to start with. It doesn’t matter what IP suffix you use, so it might be simpler just to set up a reservation for the address it’s already using, if the router will allow it. If the router insists on reservations being outside the dynamically assigned ‘pool’ of IPs then choose accordingly.

Typically devices renew their IP lease after 12 or 24 hours, so it seems strange that it would keep recurring at 0530.

Thinking laterally, could any wireless interference account for the One being knocked sideways? Could a neighbour being getting up at that time and, say, using a microwave oven?

Badge +2

Thanks.  The current IP address is ...46   _ I will reserve it to that one.  I assume I have to pick a number between 0-255 based on the range of the router?

In terms of interference - Sonos asked this.  But there is a Play 5 in the same room that it is grouped with.  That never fails, and remains online - it just finds itself ungrouped and on its own in the morning!  The room is furthest away from neighbours houses so least interference.  But if interference is the problem wouldn't the Play 5 also suffer?

Really appreciate your help on this

The current IP address is ...46   _ I will reserve it to that one.  I assume I have to pick a number between 0-255 based on the range of the router?

Not 0 or 1, as they’re often used by the router itself. Not 254 either, ditto. And not 255, as that’s the local subnet broadcast address.

Some routers won’t let you reserve an address within the dynamically assigned (pool) range. Some insist you do. And some may not stipulate, in which case you ought to use an address outside the pool just in case the router’s dumb enough to re-use a pool address for another device…

Refer to the router documentation and/or guidance on the config pages themselves.

In terms of interference - Sonos asked this.  But there is a Play 5 in the same room that it is grouped with.  That never fails, and remains online - it just finds itself ungrouped and on its own in the morning!  The room is furthest away from neighbours houses so least interference.  But if interference is the problem wouldn't the Play 5 also suffer?

One would expect so. 

If you’d like to post a screen shot of your network matrix at http://x.x.x.x:1400/support/review that might be interesting too.

If you can’t get to the bottom of things you could also try a factory reset on just that One. It usually doesn't help. But sometimes it does.

Badge +2

Many thanks

Screen grab (Bar=Play 5 with no problems, Bar 2 = Sonos one that is giving me problems - both are in the same room).  Despite the tapestry of colours the only speaker out of 14 that gives me any issues is this new Sonos One.

Another thought - is it because I have grouped it on Sonos and on Alexa?  Is it a simple app issue as opposed to anything technical?!

Nothing really obvious there. Signal strengths are okay, though ambient noise levels are distinctly high. Unfortunately the latest radio in the One/g2 doesn’t display noise data, hence the white cell in the left column.

Grouping should have no effect. Ditto Alexa. Nothing like that should kick it right off the network.

I would try the IP reservation to possibly discount factors in that area. If that doesn’t help then try a factory reset on the One, as noted above. If that doesn’t work then try (a) wiring it temporarily and (b) moving it somewhere different overnight. 

Has the One always done this? It’s not inconceivable that the wireless card has an intermittent issue.

Badge +2

hi ratty, the One has done this every day from new - bought just before Xmas.  I will give those various things a go.  Thanks so much for your help, today.  I will post something on here when I finally get to the bottom of this, as a reference point.

Im experiencing a very similar issue on a WiFi connected One. Does the Alexa/Google voice assistant on the affected One still work when in the “bad” state? Is it pingable?

Badge +2

Hi nkaminski94 - Alexa doesn’t work - the speaker status is shown as offline.  The tweaks I made overnight and the steps taken yesterday have not resolved the problem.  I have swapped the speaker over with a similar speaker in a different room today, to see what will happen tomorrow morning.