Skip to main content

Sonos/Unifi: Does STP/RSTP Come into Play if Sonos is 100% wireless?

• 5 May 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi.  The github document on How to Configure Your Unifi Network for Sonos  specifically notes that STP/RSTP problems can occur when using Sonos and Unifi “when you operate both wired and wireless Sonos device in your network (even without SonosNet).”  Does this mean if your Sonos is 100% wireless, then you don’t need to use the special STP/RSTP settings discussed in the article and in many threads in this community?

I ask because I used to use SonosNet with Boosts, but I recently went to 100% wireless with no Boosts and no SonosNet (on S2). But I do sometimes have issues where the Sonos App on my phone can’t “see” all my speakers, while the Sonos Mac application sees them fine. I had configured my Unifi to use STP, but now that I’m on 100% wireless, I wonder if I can use the default RSTP instead? I’m hoping that might help with my issue, but really not sure. I also may go back to SonosNet/Boosts if that will make things more stable.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

As far as I’m aware (granted, that’s not very far), STP/RSTP are networking standards, and have nothing to do with wireless standards. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

To start off, I don’t know for sure.

Since STP/RSTP are used for networking loop detection/prevention it might still be an issue if you have the possibility of multiple wireless paths.

Easy enough to flip them and see if things still work, but since it is WiFi you might see something switch APs and then cause issues after some time.

Yes absolutely. I made the trip from Sonos.net to fully unifi WiFi integrated and back. It was a terrible experience.

Solution: One device is connected through Ethernet and I needed to configure this specific port on the switch to work as an stp port. Since then it works flawlessly.

They claim their hardware and software are super great and state of the art, but in reality it is only the hifi part. On the network layer they are still in the last centenary: WiFi 2.4, STP instead of RSTP and the software they just botched.