Answered

Sonos s1 app & S2

HI, 

just got a sub mini, but not compatible with S1 app, i am trying to use the S2 app, but cannot setup anything, keep asking to downgrade to S1 cause some product are not compatible with S2, but the sub is not compatible with S1
Can i upgrade S1 to S2 ? very confusing 

THanks 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 2 March 2023, 22:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

The S1/S2 compatibility for all sonos products is shown here on this support page…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-s2-compatibility

@youlookfunny,

The Beam (gen2) and Sub-Mini (as listed in your online profile) are S2 compatible. 

The Play:5 (gen1) is S1 compatible only.

The Play:1 can be used on either S1 or S2.

Hope that assists and just to say there are no issues to run both S1/S2 systems side-by-side on the same local WiFi/network subnet, if that’s what you are perhaps considering.

Thanks, if i have (i think) the Beam 1, how to set up the sub mini? as S2 doesn't see the Beam 

Under S1, my only item not compatible with S2 are the Bridge & Play 5 

Do i need to reset the Beam ? very confused 

See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/update-from-s1-to-s2

Thanks, but if i run S2 updates, it's up to date. 

When i run S1 compatibility - see pic 

Sorry if i am being thick 

Thanks, if i have (i think) the Beam 1, how to set up the sub mini? as S2 doesn't see the Beam 

Under S1, my only item not compatible with S2 are the Bridge & Play 5 

Do i need to reset the Beam ? very confused 

Your profile shows Beam gen2, but if it’s gen1 then not to worry as that can be used with S2. The only products that can’t is the Play:5 (gen1) and the Bridge you mention, they are both S1 App only. So you are referring to things the wrong way around.. 

S1 = Bridge/Play:5 (gen1)

S2 = Beam (gen1)/Play:1/Sub-Mini.

Note too that the Play:1 can be used under the S1 system if you prefer that.. personally I would move it over to S2 for the additional features that system provides.

how to move Play 1 & Bean (gen1) to S2? S2 app doesn't find any speakers 

All i want is to connect the Beam to S2 so i can use the sub mini, has it stand, i want to return the sub. 
the play 5 doesn't really get use, so i am fine with that. 

You could, for example, power off your Play:5 (gen1) and Bridge and wire the Play:1 to your router in place of the Bridge - once the Beam is showing in the S1 App alongside your Play:1 it should allow to upgrade both to S2 and then add your sub-mini to that setup.

Once the S2 setup is complete and all sorted,  I would then personally opt to factory reset the Bridge and Play:5 and setup both as a new S1 Sonos Household and that will ensure each system has a different Sonos ID … it means starting the S1 system as though it’s a new setup.

Your S2 setup will keep your current settings/playlists/services etc.

Both can use the exact same Sonos account/credentials.

Thanks, start making sense, Can i put back the Play 1 back to is original place after setup? or does it have to be plug to the router ?

Thanks 

Thanks, start making sense, Can i put back the Play 1 back to is original place after setup? or does it have to be plug to the router ?

Thanks 

You might need to add your WiFi credentials (SSID/Password) to the S2 devices (that’s if those credentials are not in place already)…once they’re added, you can then move the Play:1 back to its original location and all will run on your WiFi signal for that S2 system.

To see if your network credentials are already in situ, goto ‘Settings/System/Networks/Manage Networks’ in the S2 App and see if the credentials are listed - if not, then to add the credentials to your S2 devices (use the ‘update networks’ option in that same area of the App and scan/select your devices and add the local WiFi network credentials to your S2 devices by following the onscreen instructions).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You could use them wireless if you put in your WiFi SSID and password.

You could also wire one or you could (not a recommendation) get a Boost which is a replacement for the Bridge. If you go wired it is usually a good idea to keep a speaker, Bridge or Boost a couple feet away from each other or your router to reduce interference.

@youlookfunny,

Obviously you do not need to add your WiFi credentials to your S1 App/System as you will be leaving your ‘Bridge’ wired to the router when you later setup that S1 system and that system can be left to run on its own internal (hidden) SonosNet signal rather your routers WiFi signal. Make sure though that the SonosNet channel in the S1 App is set well away from your routers WiFi channel, so the two signals are not competing with each other.

Thank you, all done. really appreciate 

Won't bother with play 5 & bridge for now