Answered

Sonos Ray LG Magic Remote

• 8 June 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi all - I have just bought the Sonos Ray as a soundbar for my 2022 LG OLED 48A16LA tv. Has anybody been able to connect LG’s magic remote to the Sonos Ray? I’ve followed the conventional wisdom of going into the TV’s Universal Control Settings and getting as far as choosing Philips (no Sonos option available) only for the remote not to be recognised when the tv runs the test with the “power” button. Nothing happens when the onscreen “power” button is clicked so it defaults to another test and so on and so on but none of them connect. From the other side, when I use the Sonos phone app Settings/System/Device/Remote Control setup, and I click the Volume Up button as suggested, the Sonos Ray lights up and is being read by the remote however the app tells me it has failed (as soon as I finish pushing the buttons). So the magic remote is communicating with it but it will still not raise nor lower the volume. Any advice is welcome before I fuck the lot of them out the window. Thanks in advance! 

icon

Best answer by jackmack 9 June 2022, 08:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I’ve got the older LG C9 TV and that has Sonos as soundbar manufacturer - have you tried that option? NB: You usually have to type in the manufacturers name in search screen to find ‘Sonos’.

I should add, that I don’t use IR in my own case, as I have the Sonos Arc and so use HDMI-CEC to control the volume instead, but it maybe worth a try to see if Sonos are there as a Soundbar manufacturer.

Hi Ken, thanks for getting back! Yes I tried to search for Sonos as a manufacturer and it didn’t come up...Thanks.

Hi Ken, thanks for getting back! Yes I tried to search for Sonos as a manufacturer and it didn’t come up...Thanks.

Note any (universal, or otherwise) infrared TV remote should work with the Ray, even a Philips remote, as long as you teach the Ray the ‘volume up’ button press etc. via its room settings.. is the magic remote not being recognised when you have set it as a Philips universal remote? 

Do you see any error messages at all when you go through the learning ‘TV remote setup’ wizard in the Sonos App?

The magic remote is not being recognised as a Philips. When I go throught the TV remote setup in the Sonos App I do get the error messages but this is despite the Ray flashing as I’m pressing the Volume Up button…. smh 

Solved! I searched for Sonos with a capital “S” and it found it then everything just fell into place. Your first reply made me think again.

Solved! I searched for Sonos with a capital “S” and it found it then everything just fell into place. Your first reply made me think again.

Ah, well that’s worth remembering for when any other users encounter the same issue here… thanks for posting back the outcome. LG need to improve their device search facility. 😀