Answered

Sonos on different VLAN to controller

• 11 April 2019
  • 1 reply

I know there are many threads on this already, and I'm pretty sure I've been through them all but still with no luck.

I have a bit of a strange setup (not my choice) of Ubiquiti switches and APs, and a Cisco router. We had a very similar setup a few months ago and had no issues, so I know it is possible. We switched service providers who supplied a new Cisco router, and have so far been unable to configure it to work.

As far as I understand, there are two components to it: enabling multicast to be broadcast across the VLANs, and then allowing the various UDP and TCP ports in the firewall to allow the controllers to speak to the players.

I'm getting a "You're on the xxx network but Sonos isn't." error. I would assume that the multicast component of the problem is working, as surely that indicates the controller is able to find/see the players, but cannot control then?

I have tried temporarily opening up all UDP and TCP ports between the VLANs but still no luck. However, if my reasoning above is correct, then the issue must be with one of these ports being blocked.

If anyone could provide any pointers, it would be greatly appreciated.
icon

Best answer by buzz 13 April 2019, 13:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Does the CISCO unit include a wireless access point? Is there a second router on the network? (possibly a UBIQUITI USG or Edge Router)? Is the CISCO configured to support VLAN's? (It would be unusual for an ISP's installer to setup a VLAN) Are the UBIQUITI switches configured for VLAN?

This support article may trigger a thought.