Answered

Sonos no longer connects to Orbi

• 7 January 2024
  • 9 replies

After using an Orbi mesh network along with a Sonos network with a collection of both wired and wireless connections FOR YEARS, as of December 2023, my Sonos system informs me that I’m an idiot. 

Well, not exactly, but suddenly I can not use the Sonos network - not one component, not one attempt at using the “let’s fix it” prompt has worked after maybe 15+ attempts with unplugging & resetting Sonos components as well as Orbi routers, and even my Verizon modem (which has never been used as a router in my setup).

I had updated my Orbi routers to the RBRE960 version from my older RBR50 system back in September 2023 - and not one hint of a problem since then.

I am at my wit’s end as to how to correct this - tried to connect to both my primary Orbi network as well as the IoT “sub” network broadcast by Orbi.  Neither will connect.

I have 50+ smart devices connected to this Orbi network, both wired and wireless, and cannot figure out why, after months of the new Orbi being online and working perfectly - can anyone please offer some suggestions?

icon

Best answer by controlav 7 January 2024, 16:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Which SONOS components are in your system? Are any wired to the network?

See if these three often suggested Orbi fixes, may perhaps assist to resolve the issue…

1. Disable Parental Controls for the Sonos device via Circle or Standard Parental Controls.

Orbi app main screen or web interface → Parental Controls

2. Disable Access Controls for the Sonos device.

Orbi web interface → ADVANCED > Security > Access Control.

3. Confirm that the Sonos device is not paused within the Orbi app.

Orbi app main screen → Device List

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There are some Orbi-specific notes on

Problem SOLVED!

I was reading the long post with tech support tips this morning and got very depressed as I had no idea about probably 90% of the networking stuff listed in there.  I was mentally preparing myself for a lost Saturday as I read and researched what the heck all those terms meant and how to change them on my Orbi.

Then I found a golden chalice: 

When I had gotten my new iPhone a couple weeks back, I had turned that Private Networking option on as I thought it would lead to less “snooping” from the outside world.  Turns out, THAT was all it took.  I toggled that off, and went to my Sonos app - and within 30 seconds, every one of my components is back and showing properly.

Many thanks for the assist here and THANK GOD I don’t have to learn to be a network tech in 8 hours or less!

Someone else might have said this.   I picked up the new Orbi960.  Amazing WiFi.  Everything from my 5k Marantz worked flawlessly to my 200.00 nest. Of course EXCEPT  my 10k worth of Sonos Amps.   For such a beautiful product with amazing sound and tech you couldn’t make it harder to add WiFi.  It’s almost like the engineers try to screw  it up.  

After hours of “can’t connect try again”, I set the 960-IOT network to the same SID and Password as my old network and it all worked.  

Sonos, you are kinda stupid.   It should be easy and work if it works on the same equip by just renaming the network and password to the old.  I don’t get it  

Well, worked for me   I hope this saves someone hours   

Just as easy to wire one device to the new router, so you can change the old SSID/password to a new one. Since the Sonos system only knows about the ‘old’ SSID, you need to tell it the new one. Which means being able to connect to it. 

You certainly could have set up the new SSID in the Sonos software before turning off the old router, and it would ‘just connect’ after you changed the router. 

@Ftnfan

As Bruce mentions you need to wire one device to the LAN first and the other Sonos devices will often also connect to that wired device. Then in the App network settings change the WiFi credentials over to the new router and then all will then run on the new WiFi signal. In my own case I’ve added several WiFi networks to my Sonos setup so I can use various WiFi routers at different locations with any/all of my Sonos speakers. I seem to recall you can add up-to 16 different WiFi credentials. I’ve just added 5, but two of them are mobile WiFi Hotspots to use with iPhones (handy to use those occasionally outdoors with the Roam/Move 2 etc.)

if you follow the instructions provided by Sonos, just open the app and select fix network and update your network it will not work.  That is what Sonos tells you to do.  I get there are work arounds but why?

No modern system requires your to take your equipment out of racks and cabinets to drag it to a router and do this.  Its 2024.   Let’s make it easy. 

Even the Roomba just creates a temp network that allows you to change.  It really shouldn’t be such a pain.   It should just work.  

As posted.  Changing your SSID through the Orbi interface takes 2 minutes and I don’t believe anyone cares too much about the SSID.  It’s just a recommendation to make it quick and easy. 

@Ftnfan

In my own case I  have a Sonos One speaker near to a network AP, so it’s easier to cable it, than go via the ‘let’s fix-it’ (temp-network hotspot) option. Once a device is visible on the LAN, the changing, (or adding), of the new network credentials is a straightforward process. I personally only use the wireless hotspot connection when using portable devices, like the Roam or Move 2, as it saves me finding/using the Sonos ‘combo’ adapter.