Sonos Move - Move between home and work network (different wifi networks)

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 3 replies

When I bought the speaker, I thought it would be possible to switch the “move” between networks. Namely, from friends, work, and home. After a lot of searching online, I still don't know if this is possible or not. Hence, my question, “how can I connect my move to multiple networks without a factory reset”. 

Online, it states that the move can remember up to 6 SSIDs. The Sonos app 2 also sees the move when I switch networks and even tells me to add it as a trusted network. Then, when I click the ok button, it keeps on “searching for system…”. 

Do you have a definitive answer as to whether or not it is possible to move between networks without a factory reset? 

10 replies

Yes, you can move between wifi networks, as a single speaker, without a factory reset.  In fact a reset would be of no help in this scenario.  A factory reset is only needed if there are existing Sonos systems on both networks to which you wish to add the Move.  

Failure to distinguish between connecting to different networks and joining different Sonos systems is the cause of much muddled thinking and misguided outrage in some other threads on this forum.

Badge

Okay, thanks for the quick answer, John, but that still leaves me with the question of why it is not possible to connect a new network in the app and why the app keeps searching for a system. The Sonos move stands on its charging dock as stated on many forums. But get stuck in looking for a system. Here are some images for clarity.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Do you have the SSID password for the network you are trying to connect to? 

For Enterprise networks, such as those used in offices and hotels this is often not available and access is determined by certificates or tokens.  This is for the very reason to stop people adding unauthorised devices.

So you should be able to connect to Friends and Family wifi, if they give you the password but may find your work won’t allow this.  

I suspect that @bockersjv is right that there is something about the work network that Sonos is unhappy about, rather than there being any problem in principle with connecting to a second network.  I suggest you try the process in a domestic setting at a friend’s or family member’s home.   That should give a good indication of whether or not our suspicions are right.

Badge

Yes, I have the Wi-Fi password, it is an Ubiquiti network. I have also tried to create a hotspot through my laptop, but this is also in vain. It just gets stuck at the “searching for your system”. I also tried to reinstall the app, but that didn't do anything either. Maybe it's because of the network, but I would find that strange. 

@Rikp,

Perhaps consider trying these steps... 

• At the original Location-‘A’ connect the Sonos Move and mobile controller device back to the original network and Sonos system.
  • Open Sonos App and goto ‘update networks’ and see if the App now scans and finds the system. If it does, then do this…
  • Use another separate mobile device to setup a ‘Hotspot’ that temporarily ‘mirrors’ the SSID and Password of the Uniquiti WiFi at Location-B.
  • In the Sonos App select the Move from the network scan results and add the nearby trusted network to the Move (Select/enter the mobile Hotspot credentials). If that works, it will add the trusted network to the list in the App (see attached screenshot). Now power down the Move.
  • Take the Move and controller device to Location-B and connect the mobile to the Uniquity WiFi and power on the Move and all being well when you open the Sonos App all should be working and your Move will be running on the new local network at Location-B

Hope that suggestion will work for you.🤞

(Side note: I think it’s 16 different networks, that can be added to the Move, FWIW)

Sonos does not support mobile hotspots and that isn't a sufficient test.

Yes, I have the Wi-Fi password, it is an Ubiquiti network. I have also tried to create a hotspot through my laptop, but this is also in vain. It just gets stuck at the “searching for your system”. I also tried to reinstall the app, but that didn't do anything either. Maybe it's because of the network, but I would find that strange. 

@Rikp,

With some Ubiquity WiFi mesh systems I did find this information on the forum too…

Suggestion is to try the following:

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.
  • In the Networks tab, please enable IGMP Filtering/Snooping

(Remember to apply/save settings).

So maybe that might go onto assist you to?

Badge

For those reading this in the future. The recent update to the app fixed the problem. Everything now works as it should.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Yes, there was a bug that put some users into an endless loop with Android controllers.  As you say, it was fixed in the last update.