Answered

sonos move for skype audio only

• 24 May 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

Does anyone have experience of using the Move as just a speaker for skype or teams calls. I'm using my laptop, but the speakers are terrible and want better sound. I've seen several posts complaining about not being able to use the microphone but that's not an issue if its only used as a speaker. 

Is it possible? Is there hideous lag? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Not going to buy a cheap Bluetooth speaker if the Move does the job as it would be a great addition to my sonos setup, but equally not going to buy a Move if it won't work for call audio and I still need to buy another speaker. 

Thoughts from anyone who has tried it would be appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by James L. 25 May 2021, 10:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You can always use Bluetooth or AirPlay 2 to send your computer’s audio output to a Sonos Move. AirPlay 2 does require the app in use on the computer to have been updated with Apple’s later APIs, but at this point, there would be very few that have not. There are still some, however.

As you pointed out, the microphone will not connect to any software on your PC/Mac, they are designed for use only with the current voice assistants. 

Badge

Thanks @Airgetlam , I’m running Windows 10, so guessing AirPlay 2 would be a problem. Was hoping that with Bluetooth the lag would be negligible, so was hoping someone who had experience could comment on whether it works or not.

Years ago I was using SWYH to get audio from my PC, but the lag would have been too much for a conference call. For me, this would be a great excuse to get a Sonos Move, but if it’s not going to work I couldn’t justify the purchase.

Badge +17

Hey @codex70,

I’ve used both Move and Roam for conference calls attached to a Windows 10 laptop over the last year-and-a-bit and I have no complaints in regard to delay. I’ve been using Roam more recently since it fits nicer on my desk and the volume is easier to handle for me. You’re correct that you can’t use the microphones in either Move or Roam as input mics for your calls, but the sound output can definitely be routed through the Sonos devices. I’d avoid using any form of audio routing software or virtual audio cables to send the sound to the Move/Roam as that will most likely introduce some delay, just simply pair the units directly to your PC using Bluetooth in the Windows 10 settings. :slight_smile: 

I’ve actually written an article on here on how to use various Sonos products as PC speakers that you might find useful: 

Badge

@James L. perfect thank you, that’s exactly what I was looking for!