Sonos matrix improvement

• 3 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

Greetings all, I have recently moved to SonosNet via Boost which is running from my structured network panel. The Boost is hardwired but sitting close to the router and a few other hubs. Due to the cord lengths my ability to distance is limited. I have logged into my router and created static IP assignments for all of my Sonos products, so I should be good there. I have added two other boosts placed in what I think may be dead spots, but they’re showing up red too. I’m not a pro at this by any means, I’ve been reading the forums and doing what seems to make sense. My matrix throws up some red, but the only time I seem to have any drop out issues is when I try to play every device at once (“play everywhere”). Is the column left red the end of the world? Any advice on improvement? Thoughts on the health of my matrix from someone that knows what they’re talking about? Thanks in advance, looking forward to your thoughts / advice.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I would not wish to claim that I know what I’m talking about but it looks to me like:

Some units are working hard against interference, but the noise floor and signal strength numbers look OK so not surprising that system is mostly stable except when under maximum strain.

The unwired Boosts appear to be redundant.

What channels are the WiFi and SonosNet on?  Have you experimented with those?  What is the WiFi channel width on the 2.4GHz band? - it should be 20MHz not 40 or Auto.

Badge

Hi John, thanks for your reply. Agree, at this point the Boosts appear to be doing nothing. I’ve tried moving the unwired units all over with little effect. 

WiFi is on channel 11, SonosNet is on Channel 1. I’ve played with them, yes. Subtle changes but channel 11 seems to be superior. I downloaded a Windows WiFi analyzer. Problem is when I switch channels, everything else switches with it. So I found that 11 was not crowded but when I switched to it, it also switched all of my gear so I busied it up. 2.4GHz is on 20 MHz.

I’m not having major issues at this point, more determined to see if I can change those reds to a different color.

Badge

Also, why are the 3 green master bedroom units blank? I just played music up there and re-ran the matrix. Seems odd.

Badge

I just set up static IPs outside of my assignment window. Before and after shots posted. Wow.

Also, why are the 3 green master bedroom units blank? I just played music up there and re-ran the matrix. Seems odd.

They ae the Sub and Surrounds within a HT ‘room’.  They connect as satellites to the main HT speaker, using direct routing over 5GHz, and are not nodes in the SonosNet mesh.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A WiFi analyzer is of limited use as it will only show WiFi signals and there are many other signals on the 2.4 GHz spectrum that can impact your setup. An RF Spectrum Analyzer will do a much better job of showing you what is happening in the RF arena.

One of the nice things about my Ubiquity AP is the ability to drop it into analyze mode and see all of the signals on the channels. Other gear may offer the same tools but it is usually only on the higher end hardware.