SONOS DNLA compatible and/or SONOS PLEX media server compatible

• 6 December 2012
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
It would be fantastic if SONOS could become DNLA compatible or PLEX media server compatible .... Or if SONOS propose a plugging to make PLEX and SONOS compatible.... PLEX media server work on WINDOWS / MAC / LINUX and propose free package for most of the NAS of the market....

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi Pierre. You might be aware of this.. but.. Sonos is not fully DLNA compatible. It will however play FROM some DLNA sources. But it cant play TO an DLNA device. If you push a compatible DLNA stream to a Sonos device it will be rendered and played. Have a look at: http://vowe.net/archives/013243.html BR, Johan
Userlevel 1
Hi Johan, thank's for your answer. But unfortunatly on my SONOS devices I cannot see my PLEX server (DNLA) .... I can see XBMC or Foobar2000 or AssetUPnP but thoses software works only on Windows or Mac computer and I would like to have only my SYNOLOGY Linux NAS running ... Do you have an idea ?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi again Pierre. Sonos are using the SMB protocol, this means you will have to "Activate Windows File Service" in DSM4.0 system control on your Synology. Please try this if you have not already. BR, Johan
Userlevel 1
Hi Johan and thank's for your suggestion but I have verified and I had already activate the Windows file service on my Synology DSM version 4.1 My Sonos do not see the Synology Multimedia Server and the Plex server.... 😞 But when I turn my computer on, my Sonos "see" Fobbar2000 with UPnP, Asset UPnP, Windows Media Server and XBMC ... But .... I have to turn on my computer each time I want to have all my music collection available on the Sonos...because theese soft do not work on Linux NAS Pleasssssssssssssse in one future Sonos version could you add the UPnP compatibility or could you propose a Package to be installed on Linux NAS ... or a pluggin/addon for PLEX ? 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi again Pierre. I'm sorry if this is "childs play" to you but please make sure you have the Synology correctly set up to allow Sonos to use it as a Media Library: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1112/~/synology-nas-setup-with-sonos If you try to get Sonos to play streams from your Synology that may not work as Sonos are not fully DLNA compatible. If you have your Synology and Sonos set up according to the link I'd say you might have a problem with your firewall/router settings, and do remember Sonos can only discover devices on the same subnet. BR, Johan
Userlevel 1
Hi Johan and thank's again for your time and answers As I have explained to you, I have SONOS product since more than 5 or 6 years .... and of course I have put all my music on my Synology and connect it as media library on my Sonos and it work except your limitation at 65 000 files... which depend of the lenght of the names of the files and metadata...so in reality I do not have 65 000 files accesible but arround 50 000 To be abble to have access on all my files I need to use a computer with softwares like Foobar2000 or AssetUPnP or Windows Media or XBMC.... But I need to turn on my computer each time I want to use my SONOS... So if you could make SONOS full DNLA ....or if you propose a freeware to be installed on nas like SYNOLOGY to serve the SONOS.... like Logitech has made... it will be very comfortable for me and for all the people in the world who are waiting since many years that you propose something to break your 65k limitation... 🙂
Hi all
just for info, I also have a synology and the all folder share thing worked on first shot flawlessly.
(so, Pierre Jean, sorry to say but probably you have something not configured properly).

I agree that a DLNA hookup would be waaaay better, and I still hope that SONOS could add this feature, but in the meanwhile there is a working solution.

PS: sonos guys: DLNA is de facto the gold standard in media library inter-operability and multi-OS systems (forget apple walled garden) ... the ability to tap into an existing system and integrate your product could really differentiate you from jambox and company.
If you thought expressly of people with BIG collection (65k songs), where you thought I keep it, on my phone or on a server? and DLNA is a must have for a media server.

anyway regards, great product!
Userlevel 1
Hi

I have 6 SONOS systems since 7 years ...

I have bought SONOS product for all my familly also

So I know perfectly what SONOS do and what SONOS not do ( User898903 )

Sonos is perfect for common users who have not many music files ( limited 65 000 files ) and who do not want real HI-FI ...

For real HI-FI you have to buy a Sonos Connect and to send it to USA or Germany or England to modified it because the original SONOS Connect is not really HI-FI...

Since 6 years I send messages to SONOS asking  to have real HI-FI products ( I speak for real HI-FI = more than 30 000 euros )  and asking for DNLA or real UPNP  to have access to more than 65 000 files....

I have
Hi Pierre
you seem offended by my post, and I had to re-read all the posts to find the single line where you state that effectively your folder sharing also works. All the thread you talk about problems and it seemed to me that your sharing does not work (and judging by the answers, also the customer help though so), my bad, and I apologize for the misunderstanding.

May I suggest some considerations?

1) sonos user guide talks about folder sharing. The customer help you contacted talks about folder sharing. There is also a FAQ very clear: sonos do not have DLNA support. You bought knowing it.

2) if you have 30k euros to spare, you could simply build a media center based on a PC (xmbc would be ok, for example) and feed the digital output to a multiroom 27k euros HIFI system, and have everything you want. With that budget, the limit is you, not sonos.

3) SONOS products is obviously not in the 30k euros range. Which motivations did you give them to change their entire business strategy (highly successfull actually) of two order of magnitude?

3) the most part of my post was devoted to asking SONOS the same thing you were asking (and giving them a good motivation, btw). Shooting on your ally is never a good strategy ...

4) a 30k system is audiophile-grade. I don't think there are even 50k tracks which are audiophile grade in the whole world, but again i could be wrong

finally ... I don't have your stellar budget, but I do have a full DLNA system which powers the TV, the HIFI and now with folder sharing also a sonos without hassle, so I thanked sonos for that and asked nicely for a DLNA improvement.
Since I don' like flame wars and money parades, my contribution stops here.

regards
Userlevel 1
ok user898903 🙂 not a pb and  I appreciate your kindly message

Just 2 answers which could help many guys

I have found a solution to have access on all my music files,  I have subscribed to Amazon Cloud Music for $24.99 per year I can put ther up to 250.000 music files and read them on my SONOS

Second point about HI-FI, I have a computer dedicaced for music totally silencious with a Professional sound card, but it's not so convenient as SONOS on my IPAD

So I decided one year ago to send my SONOS CONNECT to a guy in Germany and for 350 euros he upgrade my SONOS CONNECT and now it's really better ( but on a 30 K audio system ... I think that for most common people the standard Sonos Connect is perfect )

Kindly
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi Pierre. You might be aware of this.. but.. Sonos is not fully DLNA compatible. It will however play FROM some DLNA sources. But it cant play TO an DLNA device. If you push a compatible DLNA stream to a Sonos device it will be rendered and played. Have a look at: http://vowe.net/archives/013243.html BR, Johan
Hi Johan,

I am trying to use JBL authentics L16 wireless speaker (DNLA) as a speaker of music from Sonos system, they both are on the same wireless network.
Is this possible?

Thanks,

Young
Badge
I'm trying the same thing for a JBL authentics L8. Nothing works so far.