Sonos connected to separate wired and wireless networks - support won't help hung up on me

I have 5 Sonos devices, AMP, 2xPlay3, Playbar & Sub that all are on Sonosnet via a Boost. The boost is the only Sonos device connected to my wired managed switch (Juniper EX2200). All Sonos devices have static IP’s (reserved in DHCP).

The switch has several VLANS but runs in L2 mode. These are the relevant ones for connectivity;

192.168.1.x/24 - Wired Network

192.168.4.x/24 - Wireless Network

I have several other networks configured on my OPNsense firewall that connects to the switch. It acts as the router for the network and has a plugin to allow multicast called UDP broadcast relay. This currently bridges multicast on ports 1900, 5353 and 6969 and IPs 239.255.255.250 & 224.0.0.251

Firewall rules:

Allow UDP on 6969 from Wifi to Sonos IPs and vice versa, also from Sonos IPs to 255.255.255.255

Allow UDP SSDP/1900 from Sonos IPs to anywhere, also anywhere to 239.255.255.250

Allow UDP mDNS/5353 from Sonos IPs to 224.0.0.251, also Wifi to 224.0.0.251

Allow UDP SSDP/1900 from both Wifi and Wired to anywhere

Allow TCP 1400, 1443, 4444 from Wifi to Sonos IPs

Allow TCP 3400, 3401, 3500 from Sonos IPs to Wifi

Allow IGMP from Sonos IPs to anywhere

Allow TCP 80, 443 from Sonos IPs to anywhere

Allow UDP 30000 - 65000 from Sonos IPs to Wifi

Currently I have 3 Sonos apps/controllers setup. On MacOS (wired), iPad (wireless) & iPhone (wireless). The iPad connects with no issue to the speakers and the iPhone does not. The Mac connects if it is on the wired network, but if changed to the wireless does not.

Does anyone have an insight here as to what could be the issue with the iPhone connecting? It seems very weird to me that support outright refused to help troubleshoot this when I’ve seen multiple people here get this working without having everything on a single network as support says I must have.

WiFiKiwi 1 year ago

To answer my own question here, I finally got this to work. In the end, the problem was STP. I picked up a hint about this from the following;

I reconfigured my switches to use 4k and 8k as their priorities then I enabled RSTP on them properly so the root was the switch I needed it to be. I then _disabled_ STP on the port that my Sonos BOOST connected to.

This got it all working properly.

View original

10 replies

Please can you provide links to those threads where people have got Sonos working across networks.

Although the fact that a particular network configuration can be made to work does not imply that Sonos should support it.

One in which you replied to from Mike Connelly

Also my iPad working suggests it is possible.

Hi. I can't see how that thread is to do with Sonos working across multiple networks. Sorry if I am being thick.

Does the phone have a VPN running on it?

Okay, I updated the network configuration this weekend to put all Sonos devices in the Wifi network. I updated the firewall rules to account for the move. I made sure that all ports on the ‘Configure your Firewall’ support page were in the rules. I am still in the same situation, where the iPad and MacOS can connect to the speakers, but the iPhone cannot.

The phone does not have a VPN running on it. I even turned off the feature that uses a private MAC for the Wifi and turned off the cellular connection so it was only on Wifi. No go.

Is it possible that the iPhone connection is not crossing over to the wired LAN segment? I’ve seen some reports where an access point’s 5GHz will not cross over, but the 2.4GHz will cross over to the wired LAN.

Can I clarify one point?  Is the Boost still wired?  If so then all the Sonos devices would be perceived by the router as wired.  Not sure how that might affect it but it might be relevant if @buzz’s comment applies to your setup.

To clarify:

192.168.1.x/24 - Wired Network

192.168.4.x/24 - Wireless Network

All Sonos devices now have addresses in the 4.x wireless networks. John is correct that they go through the Boost and it’s Sonosnet connection, but they still have 4.x addresses. I simply changed the port that the Boost is connected to so it was in the wireless VLAN to make this work.

The iPhone also is in the 4.x network as this is what’s used by my wireless devices, including both the Mac and iPad. On my wireless configuration, both 5GHz and 2.4GHz use the 4.x wireless IP ranges.

To answer my own question here, I finally got this to work. In the end, the problem was STP. I picked up a hint about this from the following;

I reconfigured my switches to use 4k and 8k as their priorities then I enabled RSTP on them properly so the root was the switch I needed it to be. I then _disabled_ STP on the port that my Sonos BOOST connected to.

This got it all working properly.

Userlevel 2

Can you please share a picture of your rules?

I`m trying exactly the same and some settings are hard to copy (port outgoing or incoming)

Greetings