Sonos Arc and Orei HDA-931 Audio Extractor

• 18 July 2022
  • 7 replies

Hello all,

I just wanted to see if anyone has any advice or suggestions for addressing an issue I’m experiencing with my set up.  I currently have a Samsung JS8500 from 2015, which means it has ARC, but no EARC.  I use a Chromecast with Google TV for all of my streaming.  And I recently purchased a Sonos Arc to replace my previous Pioneer soundbar.  

I understand that I cannot get Atmos directly from the TV to the ARC because the TV lacks EARC, so I purchased the Orei HDA-931 Audio Extractor (https://www.orei.com/products/dual-hdmi-earc-audio-extractor-converter-4k-60hz-18g-hdmi-2-0-arc-support-hda-931) hoping to feed the Chromecast into the device and then split the video to the TV and send the EARC to the ARC soundbar.

I can confirm that this set up works - I can watch movies on Netflix and the Sonos app shows the audio as Atmos.  I also see the Audio In under the system info as Dolby Atmos (DD+).

The problem is that when I hit the power button on the Chromecast remote to turn the TV (and I presume the Chromecast) off, when everything “wakes” back up, there’s no audio.  I can confirm that the App shows Audio In as “No Signal” and no audio will play no matter what I do in the Chromecast or indfividual app settings.  In order to get the audio to return, I have to power cycle the extender unit, and basically (re)set up the system for the audio to work again.  But when I do this, it works with Atmos just as it did before until I shut the TV (and Chromecast) off again.

I contacted the company hoping for a resolution, but have not heard anything back from the yet.  I’m just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what the issue could be, or perhaps a way we can look further into this.  Perhaps there’s something that’s happening with the Sonos soundbar or with the audio extractor that’s causing the dropped signal.

I know people have had success with the HD Fury Arcana, but it is out of budget.  I also know that upgrading the TV to a newer model is a solution, but again, budget restrictions and the fact that the TV is still awesome by most standards means I hate to replace it it if I don’t absolutely need to.

A big thank you to anyone who has some suggestions or input.  Thanks for your time.

Best,

David

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Check and toggle ‘TV Autoplay’ ‘off’ and ‘on’ in the Arc Room Settings in the Sonos App ‘Settings/System’ and perhaps see if that resolves the issue for you. 

Check and toggle ‘TV Autoplay’ ‘off’ and ‘on’ in the Arc Room Settings in the Sonos App ‘Settings/System’ and perhaps see if that resolves the issue for you. 

Doing that did not resolve the issue immediately.  However, I switched the toggle you suggested off and then on, and then clicked on “TV Setup” from within the app and was able to reestablish audio (with Atmos).  That saves me from needing to unplug and plug wires, but it also makes me thing there might be a more elegant way of addressing the issue through a software (or firmware) fix.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Perhaps try selecting the ‘TV icon’ at the bottom of the ‘Browse Tab’ (music icon on main toolbar) perhaps see if that restores the TV Audio for you. (Note: the Arc has to be in focus and showing on the Now Playing Screen for the TV icon to appear below the list of music services).

If the ‘TV icon’ works for you and you’re also using the Sonos Voice Control service on the Arc, then you can say “Hey Sonos, switch to TV Mode on [Arc Room Name]” and hopefully that may work for you too.

Unfortunately, voice commands are not an option because I have an Arc SL.  I forgot to mention that earlier. 

Selecting the ‘TV icon’ at the bottom of the ‘Browse Tab’ does not restore the TV Audio.  And the method of setting up the TV I mentioned earlier is not 100%.  It works most of the time, but I had to unplug and plug back in the HDMI going to the ARC SL this morning for the audio to work.  

I did get a response from the manufacturer that they are looking into the issue and will respond, but I’m not sure how long that might take.

Thanks again for your suggestions.  I guess I’ll just run with 5.1 or deal with the workaround until there’s a better solution.  

Have you tried with other external source like Apple TV and experienced the same issue?

Which power supply method ( of Orei device) are you using? Try 'plug and play' method ( connect Orei to TV usb port by a single micro usb cable, without adapter).