SOLVED - disabling SonoS S1 WiFi on my capable gigabit + smart (GS748Tv5) netgear switch + Unifi WiFI

• 1 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have: Sonos S1 Connect, Connect:Amp, Netgear GS748Tv5 Smart Switch, and Unifi Wifi. (And pfSense router)

I’ve had trouble for a long time w/ packet storms, and with intermittent Sonos sound.

Finally sat down and solved it.

• What doesn’t work: the existing instructions all over the place. With current Sonos firmware, the hidden HTML UI is gone, and the available app method for disabling WiFi (Settings->System->(Room)->(Product Name)->Disable Wifi )… turns it right back on.
  • What helps for understanding: Sonos uses VERY old STP priority settings. Gotta force compatibility w/ that… by setting the “Path cost” incredibly low.
  • What does work: the following sequence and settings:

Unifi: turn off any multicast blocking. enable IGMP3 snooping.

Smart switch:

• Switching->STP:
    • Basic: enable STP, Mode: RSTP; enable Forward BDPU while STP disabled (you will disable STP on Sonos ports below)
    • CST config: bridge prio 4096
    • CST port config (for any Sonos ports): DISABLE STP, Path Cost and Ext Path Cost= 4; leave the rest defaulted (Disable, Enable, Enable, prio 128)
  • Switching->Multicast
    • IGMP Snooping->Config: enable Snooping, enable Validate IGMP IP head; DISable block unknown
    • IGMP Snooping VLAN Config: set up for any VLANs involving Sonos or other multicast transmitters
    • IGMP Snoop Querier Config: Enable
    • IGMP Snoop Querier VLAN Config: for each involved VLAN, add: <vlan id>, Enable participation, set “VLAN address” to a different value for each vlan. THESE ARE NOT ACTUAL ADDRESSES!!! They are priority orders in the form of an IP address. I used 7.7.7.<vlan number> -- just ensuring each one is different.)
    •  

NOW:

• Turn off all Sonos devices
  • In Switch, go to Monitoring->Port Detailed Stats for each Sonos device, and click Clear to clear existing data.
  • Turn on Sonos
  • Disable WiFi on each device (Settings->System->(Room)->(Product Name)->Disable Wifi )
  • It should go into a wait mode for a bit, then LEAVE the “Disable wifi” menu page. Whew!

(Anybody know how to backup Sonos settings and assure that this will survive an upgrade?)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

There is no SONOS user backup option. All of your SONOS settings should be carried across updates. If you add a new unit and want to disable wireless (not recommended), you. need to separately disable its wireless. Ubiquiti can be backed up via its controller or web interface.

Note that the very newest units use (ROAM, MOVE, ERA 100, ERA 300) do not use SonosNet, they will use WiFi. ERA 100 and ERA 300 can use the LAN after installing the SONOS USB-LAN adapter.

Also, nothing critical is stored in the controllers. Each player has a copy of the critical settings. Controllers can be reset or uninstalled/reinstalled. Sometimes you may need to re-enter your SONOS account and password after a reset.

Badge

Thanks, buzz! 

There is no SONOS user backup option. All of your SONOS settings should be carried across updates.

Hope so :)

If you add a new unit and want to disable wireless (not recommended), you’ need to separately disable its wireless. 

Of course. I would only disable wireless for units that can be wired, of course.

AFAIK, the issue with SonosNet is that it generates “invisible” WiFi interference on the channel of your choice.

The issue with always-on WiFi is when a unit is wired to the network. The result is challenging broadcast storms due to loops.

So far, so good on my little Sonos setup 🤠

As @buzz stated, SonosNet is not active if none of the system is wired directly to the router. 

As I understand it, network  ‘storms’ only occur if, and only if more than one Sonos device is wired, and the device they’re connected to is a ‘managed’ switch with improper settings. An unmanaged switch should be fine. 

Badge

more than one Sonos device is wired, and the device they’re connected to is a ‘managed’ switch with improper settings. An unmanaged switch should be fine. 

@Airgetlam that sounds exactly correct, noting that “managed” switch includes lower end “smart” switches that are mostly only L2-managed with a little bit of L3 capability… and “improper” settings is in the eye of the beholder (I won’t do a rant about Sonos not supporting RSTP. Just not gonna go there ;) ).

In essence: on a dumb (“unmanaged”) switch, everything is by definition connected on a single subnet, so there are no VLAN issues, no discovery issues, etc. Of course there’s also less security, which some of us pay attention to a little bit. But that’s a whole ‘nother conversation.

Thanks for the comments!

The challenge will always be that the vast majority of users don’t have the same level of knowledge about networking that people like you do. So I imagine that Sonos decided on a balance between cost of code / support and usability. But yes, it would be nice if Sonos were to support every possible situation out there.