Skip to main content

Hello

As most you know who may have read my posts and/or commented in others; I am a staunch supporter of a well structured network to get the optimum performance/UI experience with Sonos. In fact there are a lot of you who disagree that IMO quite a few issues being experienced with Sonos since the app refresh are due to network configuration. However, that’s a debate for another time.

What I want to speak on today concerns the value of setting Reserve (Static) IP addresses for Sonos components. Here’s my recent real life experience that I hope will convince you that setting reserve/static IP Addressees for Sonos are worth your value time. Let’s begin…. *

Two months ago my wife and I ordered new blinds for our home. The project was finally completed today (7/25/24). The first installation did not go well as the wife decided she had ordered the wrong color scheme.

A couple of rooms had Sonos speakers placed in a position that restricted access to the windows. Therefore, I unplugged and removed them from the area. One of the rooms involved a home theater setup consisting of Arc, Sub and Era 300’s as surrounds which are the subject speakers of this post.

The speakers in question have been disabled for approximately 62 days. Today (7/25/24) I was finally able to reconnect them. After everything was powered on and the LED’s became a solid white I opened the Sonos app to be sure the room reappeared as was previously configured. It was!!!

As several updates had been pushed out by Sonos I decided to check for updates. The App informed me there was an update available (as I suspected there would be). The update only targeted the Sonos speakers for the room in question. After a 5-10 minutes the app informed me that my Sonos was up-to-date.

My point being that having 31 Sonos products had I not set reserve/static IP Addresses; network configuration aside (which was helpful) my Sonos would have most likely experienced issues such as “speakers not found” and/or “appearing and later disappearing “ as new assigned IP Addressees may have been duplicates and not dedicated to Sonos.

In conclusion if you have the skills/knowledge (or know someone who can assist) to set reserve/static IP Addresses for your Sonos (and other devices); I highly recommend you do so. 

The link below focuses on ASUS Routers however the general procedure is the same. 

* Components:

• Device: iPhone 15 Pro Max_iOS 17.51
  • Sonos OS: S2_80.05.04
  • Sonos Firmware: 16.3 (build 80.1-55014)

For a good  number of us the answer is even simpler.

My system will rarely recover from a power cycle or update related reboot without the static/reserved IP addresses.

With them I have no issues with either.

Related to the disconnected for a while issue in the first post, I have a pair of play 3s that are off for months at a time as the room they are in is rarely used. I have an Arc, Sub, Play 1 home theater group that is off for at least a week at a time and often a month or more. Both power up and have no issues when needed.

Some vendors make it very easy, others much less so. For my TP-Link Mesh there’s a simple section in the app where you just click the clients you want reserved addresses for. Previous setup required manually entering MAC addresses and IP addresses for each device.