Selfhosted mp3 collection on remote linux server

• 12 January 2018
  • 3 replies

Sonos beginner here:

I just got a sonos play 1, have a large mp3 collection on a remote server (not local files nor NAS) and was wondering how to stream them with the following criteria:

1. Remote server runs linux
2. Should be a free solution

Note that the shipped android sonos controller app is fine, I'm not looking for a new controller, I'm looking for a streaming server software.

So far I've come across subsonic, but sonos support is not included in the free version.

Also came across ampache but not sure if sonos support works or not, https://github.com/hyperactivated/ampache-sonos is quite old and experimental.

From the webpage of madsonic it's not clear whether sonos support is free or not.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas or comments? Even better, does anyone have recent experience?

Thanks a million,
Daniel

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
I am looking for a similar as well. Have you found a solution yet?
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Isn't this an excellent use case for the Plex solution? The problem regarding NAT loop back is moot if the server is already remote.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have no clue about Plex but Sonos does have a support page:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4057/kw/wd%20nas

If your collection is under the 65K Sonos file limit, maybe take a look at using a local directory with an NFS mount of your remote music directory and then sharing the local directory with SAMBA?

If you have the space locally maybe a SAMBA share of a local directory (a Raspberry PI is plenty of computer for this use) and an rsync update in cron to keep it populated with your latest? I'd do this one myself, both to keep my internet traffic down and still have music if the Internet went down.