School Audio System

• 21 November 2016
  • 12 replies

Hi,

I'm a member of parent committee in my kids' school.

The direction plans to invest in a audio diffusion system. They received offers from companies but, according to me, too limited. It's a simple multi-diffusion system, wired with one amp.
The intended use is :
- background music
- personal announcement
- classes communication

As the whole school is covered by a wifi network. I wonder if it'd possible to:
- Use Sonos system with sound source in the director laptop (App)
- Add, in all classes (20) a play:1 device
- Add, in the Gym one (or two) Play:5 devices for scholar shows
- Use a mic on the laptop for communication diffusion through sonos system
According to me, main advantage of Sonos system, besides the high quality products, is the multi-room features and the possibility for teachers to add audio source to pass their own audio source for educative purpose (music, sound, audio books, ...)

That would be great as they are many class rooms, and more are under construction. This solution would be easy to implement and much more modular than wired solution with classic amp source.

What do your thnk ? Does anyone here used the Sonos system for corporate/school audio system ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm not familiar with the term diffusion but...

#1 - the wifi covering whole school is multiple access points I'm sure. As long as all communicate on same subnet you should be good.
#2 - in order to add microphone you would need a Sonos with input (such as Connect or Play:5 in the room with microphone). The alternative is free ios program called Sonos Voice - however it creates a delay that makes it hard to do an overall announcement in real time. You can add .mp3 files with pre-recorded messages.
#3 - you can have up the 32 devices so not real issues there.
#4 - biggest concern I would have is that anyone with wifi access will have Sonos access and therefore access to sound in every room of the building. Seems could become troublesome as that can be easily exploited.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Unfortunately, my opinion is that Sonos is not ideal for this kind of use.

First, I wouldn't want to try and have 20-something Sonos devices connected only through WiFi. SonosNet would definitely be better connectivity-wise, though now you run into needing not only the speakers, but also some Boost devices to fill any coverage holes that there might be. If each speaker was wired to the network, that would be the most ideal... though then it may need to be controlled by a computer rather than mobile app, as schools usually have separate wired and WiFi networks.

Second, Sonos isn't ideal for auditorium use. You mention scholar shows... I assume you mean plays and other events where microphones would be needed. Sonos really isn't designed for live performance use. There's a delay when using a Line-In, so someone will speak and then hear themselves delayed. Plus a Play:5 can only play one Line In at a time... if you need two microphones for an event, you'd be out of luck unless you have two, each one with a different microphone connected. And if you need a third? Now you have a problem.

Third, while Sonos could be used for communication from the administration office to a classroom (using the methods that Chris mentions), it's only one-way communication. There are companies that have created systems for schools that allow for two way communication, so the admin office can hear a teacher respond to a question, for example. ("Ms. Jones, can you send Joey to the office?" "I'm sorry, but Joey didn't show up for class today.")

There are purpose-built audio systems specifically for schools that would likely be better for the intended uses of the system than Sonos. In fact, there might even be two systems, one specifically for the gym to support multiple microphones in the one room, and another for everything else. I just don't think that Sonos would be a good fit for what you've mentioned here.
I concur with MikeV.
Thanks a lot Chris and Mike!

Your comments are very valuable !

@Chris
Indeed, access to the sonos system may be used by any connected professor. That point needs to be challenged by the director. It's a question of trust. Student are under 12 yo so I don't think it would be a problem
The connect + mic seems to be a good solution for announcement.
Great to hear that we can connect up to 32 devices.

@ Mike
You're right about wired connection. Director received quotation for wired speakers + amp + mic + CD player:Mp3 player for announcement and background music. And its quite expensive ! (due to placement). That's why I'm challenging the quotation with radically different solution like multi-room wifi speakers. And indeed, plan was to use computer instead of smartphone/tablet

About plays and events, I also though about that. My guess is that it's probably much more convenient to get one powerful audio setup for that purpose. This may even be rented as such events occur only 2 or 3 times /year (Welcome event / Annual event / Christmas event)

Third, you mentioned 2 ways communication. It wasn't in the specifications from the director. But it may be a really interesting feature. Even if the school is a small one (12-15 classrooms).

One more time, I thank you all guys for your comments. Really interesting. Great to see how active is the Sonos community !

I didn't find DIY bidirectional solution. I'm not giving up.

Have a nice day,

Tommaso
TomSforza,

While I'm a great SONOS fan, I don't think that SONOS is fit for this purpose.

PLAY:1 and PLAY:3 cannot be used for two-way audio. Using a CONNECT would require adding an amplifier and speakers, along with the microphone and preamplifier to each room. To me this seems messy and expensive in the rooms and this will not be much fun to operate in the central office. True, there would not be an expensive central console -- one could use a pad or phone. As MikeV and jgatie point out, a 20+ unit WiFi based SONOS system is a risky venture and, depending on the building density, SonosNet might not work well enough unless you add a few BOOST's, but this raises the unit count -- and 32 units (of any mix) is the limit. I would recommend using a wired network. But, if you are pulling wires to each room, why not pull wires for a dedicated PA/Intercom system? (along with at least one general purpose network connection to each room.)

Certainly, a SONOS system would provide higher music fidelity than any Intercom systems that I've seen, but it seems that the main purpose of this system is Intercom and SONOS is definitely not convenient for Intercom use. You might find some interesting candidate hardware if you search for "IP Intercom".

With respect to using a SONOS system as the basis for an auditorium PA system, this is not recommended. The inherent delay between input to a SONOS unit and output from a player will drive everyone crazy and features that all PA systems should include, such as equalizers, limiters, compressors, feedback suppression, and microphone mixing are not available. Certainly, a SONOS CONNECT could be used as an input to the PA system when playing prerecorded music or online content.

Finally, 12 year old's are more resourceful than you can imagine.
Hi, I'm new to the community. Anyone have any experience using Sonos as a school bell system?

richard.c
If the purpose of the "school bell system" is to signal the break between classes, SONOS is not fit for this use.

The first of many issues that you will experience will occur if a room has its Volume set very low -- this room may not receive the "Bell". Conversely, if a room Volume is set high, the room will be blasted. A work around would require the system operator to log the Volume setting for each room, set the room's Volume to the Volume required for "Bell" operation, launch the "Bell" file, then restore the Volume setting for each room. This sequence of operations would be required for each use of the "Bell". You will have similar issues dealing with currently playing content (if any) in each room.
Thanks Buzz for this feedback.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you looked at the Ubiquity school system? It would do for much of your needs and will work alongside Sonos where that is a better fit for you.

https://store.ubnt.com/collections/wireless/products/unifi-ac-edu
Thanks Stanley_4. I'll look into this.
I'm not familiar with the term diffusion but...
#4 - biggest concern I would have is that anyone with wifi access will have Sonos access and therefore access to sound in every room of the building. Seems could become troublesome as that can be easily exploited.

Diffusion ... me neither but meaning is probably announcements? Nevermind...

#4 - This is the smallest concern because you can put this subnet to the separate vlan (802.1q), create some separate SSID for it and don't send SSID in the beacons. Additionally apply 802.1p priorities for this vlan and rest of the traffic. Easy and effective.
Have you looked at the Ubiquity school system? It would do for much of your needs and will work alongside Sonos where that is a better fit for you.

https://store.ubnt.com/collections/wireless/products/unifi-ac-edu

Thanks Stanley_4. I'll look into this.

Don't!

I'm using UniFi EDU, cca 35 units. I'll never do this again. Mobile app is piece of crap. UBNT Android developers are from my country, they told me they are aware of many bugs but there are other priorities than this app (and the last release is 15m old). You can't do anything within the controller except terminate frozen stream (which is happening a lot). Controller has performance issues even on the strong server (Unifi Cloud Key is useless because is too weak), problem is traffic thru SWs and APs ... which effects Controller ... irony (maybe not, but statistics which I don't want). We're using it just for ring bell (because operate the announcements on the unstable system is hardly possible for skilled tech and impossible for the regular user like the school principal, etc) and streams are freezing often and one frozen stream can prevent the future for running. UBNT L1 support is very dumb and can't help you (they are asking i.e. if you have static IP of the controller), if you've been told that problem has been escalated, nothing happens for next weeks and months. Then with help from the distributor one day, the L3 support guy created a new issue and gave me some commands for system properties file and now we're trying to tune the Controller to be able to play the streams withou freezing. People from the school are very upset with the system we've installed there. :(

Sidenote: I've been recommending the UniFi for a long time and I regret that. I've bought some UAP-AC-PROs and USW-24 (without PoE) for friend of mine to his new flat ... That switch has passive cooler (silence is good, rack is next to his room) but it is overheating without any load and I'm worried about HDDs running in the NAS in the same rack.

Why am I here? Because another school wants some announcement system so I'm looking for the alternative solution.