Schedule a "quiet mode"

• 2 September 2023
  • 12 replies

A lot of TVs and streaming devices have a “quiet mode” where they add some signal processing (probably just a compressor) to reduce loud sounds when watching TV late at night.

It would be great is Sonos had a similar mode (preferably customizable) where I could schedule the quiet mode so that it aligns with my apartment building’s rules for being quiet.

A compressor would probably not be enough, I think bass should be EQ’d down as well. Maybe there are other audio tricks in order to not disturb neighbours too… this is why I’d like it to be customizable so I can tweak EQ/compressor settings depending on my setup/house/etc.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Try out Night Sound. There are no adjustments, but it might help your situation a little.

Badge +20

If you have any iOS devices there is an App called Soro and that give you the ability to schedule things such as the Night mode Buzz mentions in addition to altering EQ.

Thanks.

The problem is, my Sonos Amp does not have Night mode. Either it’s because I have my own speakers connected to it or more probably it’s just supported on smart speakers and/or TV speakers.

So I hope they can make a Night mode for Sonos Amp and implement scheduling for it. :) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@uglug FYI Sonos Amp does support night mode (as well as speech enhancement). 

@Bumper how do I find it?! I’ve looked everywhere in the app!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Start playing some TV audio on your amp and the buttons will appear as in the attached picture. 

The night sound/speech enhancement features appear on the ‘Now Playing’ screen when playing TV audio. See links:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/make-dialogue-easier-to-hear-with-speech-enhancement

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reduce-loud-tv-audio-with-night-sound

Lol, I don’t have a TV :)

So you want a Night Mode for music?  It has one, it’s called a volume down button.   Night mode is generally applied to television and it results in dialog being enhanced while explosions and other loud noises are turned down.  I don’t know any system which automatically applies this type of equalization to music.  Though a Loudness setting comes close (and still must be enabled by manually lowering the volume). 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Ah damn, you would think night mode would work with all sources, but of course it doesn’t.

Ah damn, you would think night mode would work with all sources, but of course it doesn’t.

I guess so… night mode for TV makes more sense than for music I guess, but I still think it would be a good idea for music :) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I guess so… night mode for TV makes more sense than for music I guess, but I still think it would be a good idea for music :) 

Obv you should buy a tv and android or apple tv box for you to play your music through and and use the night mode function /s